mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I cant believe they would not update the software based on a customer request. I would assume updating the software is a legal requirement to meet emissions/negate diesel gate scandals.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I fully expect they put it on and you'll never notice...

as for expecting to see if it'll pass an MOT and think that's a way to see if the emission are ok is another crazy idea. Almost anything passes, two key reasons,

1) the standard is almost does it run? yes OK its passed
2) if that's an issue the MOT guy fiddles it through anyway

If they do, and I don't, then I'll be none the wiser. I don't know what evidence you have, to have formulated your negative opinions of the MOT test but it would appear I have a little more faith in the standards and integrity of the industry than you clearly do, or don't as the case may be. I've been working with a local motor engineer for the last 35 years or thereabouts and I trust his professionalism, where in contrast, I have dealt with MB Stratstone for just over a Year where I have been lied to twice, rejected the first draft of my current Service Plan agreement as it was in contravention to E Mail discussions and seen far too many examples of MB or other dealerships on this forum alone, taking advantage of either the innocence and/or ignorance of their customers to be comfortable in just taking their word at face value.

Mike Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 C200 Estate AMG line plus
Am I right in thinking that all those that have suffered a drop in mpg and and different change points on the gearbox have Euro 5 engines?

I have a Euro 6 that had an update 3 weeks ago and I have not noticed any difference in mpg or gear selection.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
So have any of the motoring press picked up on this yet?
I cant believe they would not update the software based on a customer request. I would assume updating the software is a legal requirement to meet emissions/negate diesel gate scandals.

As I see it, unless I've missed a post, there isn't any evidence of an official "Recall" posters on the forum have been verbally informed of a software update during servicing work as I was so what's to investigate? Owners of different engine/gearbox combinations are complaining of differing performance experiences post update and one poster has already been told to take it to arbitration if you don't like it.
Twice "Legal requirement" has been mentioned on this page alone on the thread, what legal requirement is this? There are too many opinions and assumptions where there is a distinct lack of information from MB over such a significant software rollout.
As I stated earlier, my car was sold as a Euro 5 emissions car and it was performing within operational parameters on it's last MOT so I'm not breaking any emissions laws, I'm not aware of anything not working on my car that needs fixing?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
With regards to 'just change up into 7th' - firstly, you have to keep switching into manual mode from Comfort and Economy every time you go over 60mph, which in traffic is very annoying and distracting, and yes, you buy an E-Class to waft along and not think about these things. I use the paddles too a lot, but for more sporty driving.

On my C350CDi I can just use the paddle to upshift even in Comfort mode

When I'm cruising, it really ruins the experience and is very distracting.

Pushing a button ruins the whole experience!!!!!!!

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
I fully expect they put it on and you'll never notice...

as for expecting to see if it'll pass an MOT and think that's a way to see if the emission are ok is another crazy idea. Almost anything passes, two key reasons,

1) the standard is almost does it run? yes OK its passed
2) if that's an issue the MOT guy fiddles it through anyway
The problem is people are noticeing a big difference post update.

MOT's in the uk are regulated so the suggestion that mot's are all fiddled is gibberish. The only thing being fiddled here is Mercedes not giving a stuff about their customers cars.

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI W212 (2009)
On my C350CDi I can just use the paddle to upshift even in Comfort mode

Pushing a button ruins the whole experience!!!!!!!
Mine doesn’t do that. Downshift works but not upshift.

Constantly pressing the button three times to get back into comfort does indeed ruin the experience a bit

It’s funny, the only people who are defending MB and this update are people who haven’t had it applied to their cars...

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'My' MOT tester knows various tricks to persuade a car to pass its emissions test ;)
Yeah so does mine but they also know it only takes a phone call and they will be investigated

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It’s funny, the only people who are defending MB and this update are people who haven’t had it applied to their cars...

I am not defending anyone, my car never sees the dealer so it won't get updated, my decision as I also don't want to have to drive to essex to visit GAD to have the re-map put back on, if MB update the software to save the planet (or any other reason) the so be it, all for the greater good in their eyes (and probably avoiding a massive fine).

Interesting how 2 cars of the same vintage with the same engine and gearbox are different in the way you can control the gearbox, maybe it's because I have a stick in the centre console which can also be used to change gear in any mode and the E has a column shift.

If my car did it then I would leave in in "M" on a cruise and change up as and when necessary

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
If my car did it then I would leave in in "M" on a cruise and change up as and when necessary

But it seems that many revert back to AUTO by themselves .... mine does (I do have a manual setting but I think that's part of its 'off road pack' as other MLs I've seen don't have it)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Yeah so does mine but they also know it only takes a phone call and they will be investigated

Barry never uses tricks like putting the probe into AN Other car's exhaust but he's adept at manipulating revs etc to get a pass :)

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Barry never uses tricks like putting the probe into AN Other car's exhaust but he's adept at manipulating revs etc to get a pass :)
The German car industry are the real experts are manipulating EU emissons standards though.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But it seems that many revert back to AUTO by themselves .... mine does (I do have a manual setting but I think that's part of its 'off road pack' as other MLs I've seen don't have it)

Maybe it is part of the column shift software??????

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Mine is not a column shift and you can use the paddle shift in auto and it will stay in auto.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The German car industry are the real experts are manipulating EU emissons standards though.
They (along with every other car manufacturer) were making their cars attractive to owners by meeting the regulations imposed upon them by governments. Owners don't want to buy cars with high VED so emissions in ideal conditions were set to meet the rules. Governments realised they were losing out on taxation so they did something about it.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They (along with every other car manufacturer) were making their cars attractive to owners by meeting the regulations imposed upon them by governments. Owners don't want to buy cars with high VED so emissions in ideal conditions were set to meet the rules. Governments realised they were losing out on taxation so they did something about it.
Or Goverments set unattainable emmisons standards and then fine car manufacturers when they cannot achieve them.

Sounds like entrapment to me.

I assume the fines will be used to plant trees and generally make the environment better again?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with taxing polluters we just need to see more evidence of where that money goes it’s all too opaque to be credible at the moment.

Top Bottom