Mercedes has died, what to do next?

smivvy_uk

Reaction score
Hi all,
I hope this is the right forum (excuse me if it's not). I have a 1988 420SL with ~150,000 miles on the clock. It died on me 15 months ago. The timing chain has gone and caused untold damage to the engine (it occurred whilst being started cold one day). It's with a mechanic, who has thrown the towel in and can't be bothered. I have asked for a list of the damage but he is reluctant to give me the list. I need to decide whether or not to sell it for scrap (how much would it be worth approx) or should it get it fixed (how much would it be worth if fixed). I have found it very difficult to get a few approx answers to these simple questions but they really will decide it's fate. Any answers/advice/help would be very much appreciated.

Damien

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Ring a few breakers for the price of an engine - that's your starter for 10

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As Toby should be quite a few engines around cheap

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
if the mechanic is reluctant to tyell you what it needs to repair it, he probably wants to buy it cheap from you (scrap value plus a few quid) and fix it up for his own benefit (either to keep or sell on)

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
A good R107 420 should be worth a fair bit of money even if the engine is busted ---provided-- the body/hood/trim is in good nick. Body work is expensive/ skilled labour job to sort an engine swap is relatively easy. Your mechanic is reluctant to say whats involved in rebuilding the engine because until its stripped its impossible to say exactly what's involved in a rebuild. As has been said a good engine from a breaker is your best bet. It's only going fulfil its true value as a "runner"

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Here is my 2p worth. You have some options the first being sourcing another 420 engine to replace the knackered lump. The second could be to source a 560 unit and drop it in (you'll need to get the wiring loom and mod it to fit the options of your car possibly) and give it some more oomph. If you're looking at a new engine why not upgrade :D

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
I would suggest that in the "good R107 " sector originality is everything. If you want a car that most buyers in the future won't turn up their nose at --- stick with a 420 ;)

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Personally, I'd look at getting a second hand engine or maybe a remanufactured one.
A short engine (just block and no ancillaries) shouldn't be too expensive.
If your SL is tidy, then in a running condition its worth more than quite a few newer models second hand.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
First thing to do is to get it away from the "mechanic" and see what you are dealing with. You may find lots of parts missing - have a good look at the car before taking it away

Nick Froome

OP
S

smivvy_uk

Reaction score
Many thanks, to all of you who replied. I have found a very reliable buyer (my mate's dad) who has offered me a decent amount of cash for it. He's taking the project on from here.

Top Bottom