Mercedes ML 2010 ECU Remapping Review (GCL Tuning)

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Good gains on the E280 as long as you do not go too far with the bhp, we gain 40bhp/70nm torque, do not have it mapped any more than this as it is enough on this model...:)

Interesting as the 280 (AFAIK) is basically a detuned 320 so the extra above is enough to take it back to the 320 level. What I've wondered about is what mechanical differences would stop a 280 matching a remapped 320? Presumably MB don't make different gearboxes and brakes etc. Is the turbo different?

tony2311

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2002/270cdi
Sorry to mention the other site but a company on there is doing a group remap at £100 + vat if there is 15 cars at banbury (next one on 8 june ), Report from the first one is very favourable, so why is he charging 3 time more money for the same thing? I know everyone is here to make a living but 3 times the money??

sr-performancelive..

Reaction score
Website
www.sr-performance.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 325 TDS TOURING
You get what you pay for!!
All "cheap" remaps tend to be a generic map that is not modified to suit your car but is the same map put into every model of the same engine , eg: a c220cdi would have the same exact map.
So when you pay more money you will be getting the knowledge and development and backing from a reputable company. You wouldn't believe how many owners get in touch after having a "cheap" remap and now find there clutch is slipping or it run's poorly..:)

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
All "cheap" remaps tend to be a generic map that is not modified to suit your car but is the same map put into every model of the same engine , eg: a c220cdi would have the same exact map.
So when you pay more money you will be getting the knowledge and development and backing from a reputable company. You wouldn't believe how many owners get in touch after having a "cheap" remap and now find there clutch is slipping or it run's poorly..:)

Interesting. Yet according to all the early posts on this thread we've never had anyone who is not happy with a remap. So all are good in this best of all possible worlds.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Sorry to mention the other site but a company on there is doing a group remap at £100 + vat if there is 15 cars at banbury (next one on 8 june ), Report from the first one is very favourable, so why is he charging 3 time more money for the same thing? I know everyone is here to make a living but 3 times the money??

The £100 is a result of a group buy, the normal price is ~ £300 IIRC. The only way you get a "bespoke" map is if you have a rolling road analysis etc...

I wonder how many of these companies actually develop their own maps? How many create a unique set of parameters for a customer? Very few and very expensive I suspect.

Not to say these generic maps don't work, a Merc 220CDI is a Merc 220CDI.....

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
my view is that the economy of scale is merely being factored in here, along with charging what the market will stand.

regarding the economy of scale..........
for a business like eg steve's to work, he needs to cover his costs and make a profit - same as for all of us self employed types. i imagine the biggest problem is generating a steady flow of work from one locality, indeed it seems that most guys in the remap trade will travel. so if one day involves 4 hrs travelling, providing 1x remap and many more hours of administration (amazing how much time can be spent with customers trying to answer their exhaustive questions!), how much has been earned? now imagine the same travelling, providing 15x remaps and a little more admin, this makes for a longer day probably, but the profit is exponentially higher! hence the incentive of reduced fees to generate this kind of work - sounds fair to me.

and as for charging as much as you can - why not?? we all make choices as consumers - we do not have to part with our cash do we? are a solicitors charges 'fair'? how about a structural engineer or an estate agent? personally i find the notion of 'fairness' to be very difficult to apply in the real world.

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
"The OBC will not be accurate after the map, that's if it ever was in the first place"
I have just done VERY NORTH WESTERN Cumbria (Silloth) and back plus 3 days pottering about on 3/4 Tank of fuel. OBC said 41.2 MPG brim to brim fill same fuel same station same pump worked out at 40.5 MPG. How much accuracy do you want? The return trip was a B£00dy Night Mare to boot stop start for very long periods yesterday morning ended up adding almost and extra hour and a half to the journey time.

tony2311

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2002/270cdi
if you look at their website and their feedback, i cant see you being any better and they have 4 time as much feedback all very very favourable

crockers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc now sold - XC60 D5 arrived
I had my car remapped at the last Banbury outing - I can't say if it's a generic or whatever as I do not have that knowledge. All I can say is it has given me a smoother power delivery, the computer reads a 3 mpg gain (that may not be accurate) and I do LOVE the extra mid range delivery ....
For me it was well worth the £100+vat.
I do believe there are some vacancies for the 8th June re-map - so feel free to add yourselves to the list.
BUT...do check with your insurance company first - some are quite fussy some are not.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom