mercedes ml class

chefscouse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
m class
Hi,
After writing off my honda civic in an accident earlier this year (which was a great car) im looking to buy an m class and was looking for any tips/advice please.
much apriciated:)

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Great cars. I had a 270cdi ML for a couple of years and now have the newer 350cdi. They are very comfortable on long runs and will give you about 33 mpg on a run. Also very roomy and plenty of boot room (length, width and height) whether seats up or down.
The MB service plan is £36 per month and worth a look as it includes brake fluid changes every two years, and changing ATF at around 38k miles, plus usual services. Like many others, I like the high seating position and greater visibility when touring. Give more details of the age you are looking for and budget and others will be along with more tips.

AlastairD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 S211 E270 CDi Elegance 100k+
Why the big change in type of vehicle? You just got into farming?

Whatever, my advice is get the best you can afford, with as many extras as you can find!

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Why the big change in type of vehicle? You just got into farming?

Have you not noticed that quite a large share of the market prefer 4x4's to other models. I gave some reasons in an earlier posting.

If you have children, dogs, or hobbies involving lots of gear (sailing, camping, surfing, etc etc) estate cars make lots of sense. You then have a choice: conventional estate car, an egg shaped MPV or a 4x4. To many the 4x4 is the most attractive.

You can get more in the boot as it offers more height.
The ML is shorter than an E estate for parking.
Good for towing -which appeals to caravan, horse and trailer-sailer boat owners.
Great in winter.
Supremely comfortable.
And safe. Official figures show you are 50 times more likely to survive a major crash if you are in a 4x4 than in an average car. Why would you put your eggs in any other basket? The ML is one of the 4 safest cars in which to be involved in an accident. http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=22308
Performance is about the same as the average S class (around 7 seconds 0-62mph).
Only real downside is that four wheel drive costs more to buy and to run.

Last edited:

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: RRS Autobiography/F-Type R V8 AWD Previous: CLS 400 W218 / CLS 350 CDI W218 / ML350 W164
Do you have an idea of the age/spec/price you can manage? We have a ML350, one of the last of the old model and its a fine car. My best tip would be make sure you get one with remote opening & closing on the boot!
The others will give you tips on engines etc, mine goes fast, cost lots to run and has a cool boot!

OP
C

chefscouse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
m class
Thanks

Hi all who have replied,
the huge change in car is due to me not feeling safe and being really uneasy in normal cars when driving, hence the move to a 4x4.
Im looking at paying between 14-16k
ive just put a deposit down on a 2006 320 cdi sport with 42k miles on the clock. it has all the toys and extras on it, air suspension, cornering lights, xenon lights etc. havent seen it in the flesh yet though! but its from a mercedes dealership.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Sounds like a really good spec. Good service record? Approved Used warranty for 1 year? Good luck.

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: RRS Autobiography/F-Type R V8 AWD Previous: CLS 400 W218 / CLS 350 CDI W218 / ML350 W164
Hi all who have replied,
the huge change in car is due to me not feeling safe and being really uneasy in normal cars when driving, hence the move to a 4x4.
Im looking at paying between 14-16k
ive just put a deposit down on a 2006 320 cdi sport with 42k miles on the clock. it has all the toys and extras on it, air suspension, cornering lights, xenon lights etc. havent seen it in the flesh yet though! but its from a mercedes dealership.

Well done! It will look miles better than the new version, saw a silver one this morning outside school and was a little bit sick!

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Well done! It will look miles better than the new version, saw a silver one this morning outside school and was a little bit sick!

Surprised you think that. I saw the new one in a showroom, and sat in it for some while yesterday and I thought it looked excellent. Inside and out. Really nice. Not really very different from the one I have. Tasty as ever.

nigelstgeorge

Reaction score
Website
www.iledere-france.com
Your Mercedes
E300 Avantgarde 1998,C250 CDi 2000, E320 2002, E320 CDW211 2005. FL2,RRS 2011,GLE 2016
Hawke20 - I have been off the Merc forum for about three years after owing and loving E Class 300 & 320 estates for about 15 years. Requirement to tow up slipways etc required 4x4 and first went for Freelander 2 great and reliable but boot too small. Currently have a 2011 TDV6 HSE Range Rover Sport that meets all requirements is a dream to drive but I worry about reliability and miss the MB Marque and Mobilo European break down cover.

This brings me to thinking about a two year old ML 350 Eco with bells and whistles. Yes I know it won't be as good off road but long distance touring across France and towing are my main criteria and off course RELIABILITY.

Looking to change or stick end of October - located Farnham, Surrey. Anyone thinking of selling then or can advise how they have found this model warts and all I would be most grateful.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
This brings me to thinking about a two year old ML 350 Eco with bells and whistles. Yes I know it won't be as good off road but long distance touring across France and towing are my main criteria and off course RELIABILITY.

Let's be honest, the Merc is no where near as nice as the RRS for touring, and is it that much more reliable?

Have you got a V6 or the V8 RRS?

nigelstgeorge

Reaction score
Website
www.iledere-france.com
Your Mercedes
E300 Avantgarde 1998,C250 CDi 2000, E320 2002, E320 CDW211 2005. FL2,RRS 2011,GLE 2016
Let's be honest, the Merc is no where near as nice as the RRS for touring, and is it that much more reliable?

Have you got a V6 or the V8 RRS?

I have the V6 and yes it is comfy, quick, roomy etc but I need to feel sure I have as reliable a 4x4 as one can have. (yes I know 4x4s are inheritantly less reliable than normal cars.)

Merc EU 30 year break down cover helped me the past very efficiently. An undersold MB benefit.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I get EU breakdown cover with my Bank Account, you can also take it out with one of the main companies for £15 a month.
Last time I had it they insisted on taking me to Mercedes, they wanted to do replace a turbo, I pulled the car out and got it to an indi who replaced a £12 hose, who also said that he was surprised they had not worked that out on the side of the road.

I'm no longer sold on Mobilo.

If you just fancy a new car though? :D
Take the ML out and see what you think, I was looking at MLs and after trying the RRS I stopped looking at the ML.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
I agree that Mobilo will only take you to a Merc dealer - who will charge an arm and leg for works....

I have GEM Recovery reclaim - top cover - £100 per year for all the family (6 cars, 1 Motorhome + 4 drivers)

Only catch is you have to pay the recovery driver, then you claim it back - upside is you get your cheque within 48hrs of posting the receipt.

nigelstgeorge

Reaction score
Website
www.iledere-france.com
Your Mercedes
I agree that Mobilo will only take you to a Merc dealer - who will charge an arm and leg for works....

I have GEM Recovery reclaim - top cover - £100 per year for all the family (6 cars, 1 Motorhome + 4 drivers)

Only catch is you have to pay the recovery driver, then you claim it back - upside is you get your cheque within 48hrs of posting the receipt.

The only problem with GEM is that the maximum length of any one trip is 45 days which is not nearly long enough for us. Thanks for the suggestion though.

nigelstgeorge

Reaction score
Website
www.iledere-france.com
Your Mercedes
I get EU breakdown cover with my Bank Account, you can also take it out with one of the main companies for £15 a month.
Last time I had it they insisted on taking me to Mercedes, they wanted to do replace a turbo, I pulled the car out and got it to an indi who replaced a £12 hose, who also said that he was surprised they had not worked that out on the side of the road.

I'm no longer sold on Mobilo.

If you just fancy a new car though? :D
Take the ML out and see what you think, I was looking at MLs and after trying the RRS I stopped looking at the ML.

I am not looking to change just for the sake of it. Maybe I should stick with devil I know.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Everyone I know who leaves the FFRR or RRS for something else is back in one within 6 months.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom