Mercedes = Rust

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
BUT fifthly and lastly there appears to have been a recent change in policy that cars without full MBSH are being rejected for free 'goodwill' rust repairs. If this is so, I think it is a retrograde step by Mercedes, will lead to ill will with those affected, and will harm Mercedes reputation with many others.

My car is going in on Monday for rust repairs. This will be the third time in as many years. Contrary to the experience of others MB have always tried to sort the problem.
My concern is the recurring problem on panels that have already been repaired.:(

Do you have full MB service history?

Bogart

Reaction score
Sorry Nick but I strongly disagree.

I also own a Volkswagen Golf which is the same age, similar miles, kept in the same place and treated in exactly the same fashion as the Vito with ZERO rust, in fact the bodywork is excellent

My wife has a Peugeot which is older (2001) and has also been treated/kept in the same manner and it too shows no rust, so in theory, a crappy French hatchback is better built than a supposedly premium brand German workhorse?

No other brand (car or van) that I am aware of has such rust issues that as you rightly state "has been done to death on this forum", so how come they have to use the same salty UK roads as Mercedes and dont rust?

Agree entirely. I currently have a 1995 Alfa Romeo( not noted once as the best for resistance to rust) without the slightest hint of rust anywhere.
Point the blame where it deserves to be with MB.

OP
E

energysolutions

Reaction score
Sorry Nick but I strongly disagree.

I also own a Volkswagen Golf which is the same age, similar miles, kept in the same place and treated in exactly the same fashion as the Vito with ZERO rust, in fact the bodywork is excellent

My wife has a Peugeot which is older (2001) and has also been treated/kept in the same manner and it too shows no rust, so in theory, a crappy French hatchback is better built than a supposedly premium brand German workhorse?

No other brand (car or van) that I am aware of has such rust issues that as you rightly state "has been done to death on this forum", so how come they have to use the same salty UK roads as Mercedes and dont rust?

Agree entirely. I currently have a 1995 Alfa Romeo( not noted once as the best for resistance to rust) without the slightest hint of rust anywhere.
Point the blame where it deserves to be with MB.

Indeed Alfa Romeo (+ Fait) were synonymous with corrosion but got their act together and now have rust free bodywork

Perhaps Mercedes should go head hunting in Alfas car park.....

sul

Reaction score
does anybody actually know how long the anti corrosion warrranty is on comercial vehicles.
im sure i read somewhere its 10 years but cant for the life of me remember where.
i asked a few dealer and they reckon it doesnt exist???.
my van's 2001 by the way

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
does anybody actually know how long the anti corrosion warrranty is on comercial vehicles.
im sure i read somewhere its 10 years but cant for the life of me remember where.
i asked a few dealer and they reckon it doesnt exist???.
my van's 2001 by the way

For vans it will be the minimum possible that they can get away with by law

DICKETTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes CL500 C216
Rust S500

I have owned my (relatively) low milage (80k) 1999 S500 for nearly 12 months it has been mostly trouble free and superb in operation. My problem is rust, front wings, all door bottoms, rear wheel arches and number plate surround. I have had repair work carried out at my own expense on the font wings but did not realise that Mobilo Life may cover some of this expence.
My car has a full MB main dealer service history and none of this rust is due to impact damage or stone chipping, there is even a small mark on the o/s rear wing away from the wheel arch that appears to have rusted through from the inside. My car will be going in for a service toward the end of this month so has anyone any advice as to what to say and do with the car on arrival at my dealer.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome to the forum,,I do not think that you will get much joy from MB on this one as they are cutting right back now on these things,, you can ask though, some dealers are better than others on this bad rust problem

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom