Mercedes sl r129

Hoshil

Reaction score
Hi their people im Hoshil...a newbie..go easy!!
im comin very close to buying an R129..dream of one sinse i was a nipper... slightly ndifferent for me as im a bit of a hands on DIY,learn yourself type of fella..without a massive wallet im thinkin of buying one of a salvage yard (eek)!one that has mainly panel damage as sourcing new panels i reckon aint a massive issue.. ive seen one in particular going for 1900pounds it silver with 18" amg alloys blue/leather interiour, its the 320 (im told engine is mint,no changes needed here). i just wanted some advice on whether this is a good project to take up,i dont want to buy a propa 'ready 2 drive' one..i think it will take the fun out of what i want to do..plus this way i can custom it slightly...but keeping it lookin 95% factory.(i want tto do this over 3-4 years) what do you guys think????its a 1990 pre face lift... i think with 105k on clock..or am i barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks in advance

Hoshil

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently Capri 280, 2 Litre S and 3 Litre Ghia
Don't be impatient, look at many ones before deciding.

I started looking for an SL in October but saving up for it to give Santa the nod this Xmas.

The 1989 Quality Salvage (priced up at £1975) looks like it needs suspension work and it requires a lot of panel/bright work.

I looked at the black 1991 (H reg but on private plate) SL300-24 in Autosave Carephilly. Nice car, goes like stink but needed a lot of TLC to the interior. MOT is due next month as well on it so would have to get it checked before passing out the readies.

If you are looking for one to use as a project then you would be better selecting something that is pretty complete (hard top, working soft top) and if you are electrically competent then the older cars are easier than the CAN bus and STAR systems.

Diggers

OP
H

Hoshil

Reaction score
ok thanks for the input diggers.yep thats the exact one i was lookin at?where you all ready aware of it?i spoke to the matey selling it. thiers no damage to the axle and yes just as said suspension work.the interior is totally mint aswell. would i be wrong in thinkin say about 2-300 for the fron bumper 200ish for a new bonnet 150 for a new winscreen 200 for boot lid as someone seems to have tried to pry it open. and finally after all this is done, take it down to mercedes in bout 2years time and get a full pro respray in a new black or something

OP
H

Hoshil

Reaction score
also where do you or anyone reading know where i may be able to find other cars like this?salvage yards etc... because im so sure many are jus sitting idle in garages just waiting to see the light of day. anyone could point me in the right direction would be very much appreciated

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hoshil

You are budgeting:-
1900 - car that has been there since Xmas that I know of.
1000 - your estimate of the panels/windscreen.

So circa £3k plus running gear, electrics,etc - and no mention of whether it has a hard top.

So why not purchase on with straight panels to start with?

You can always tinker with it and SORN/garage/workshop it.

Save up a bit more and go for a slightly better car - that's what I am doing!!!

Diggers

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Yes I agree with digger, go for a straight one they are silly money at the moment can not see them being low priced for long.Hope this helps

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
buy between the end of summer and end of winter to get a bargain - because a convertible is only for summer use (with the invariable mark up).

I have just seen one "R reg" 500SL, blue rise 10% in asking price this last week. I am also sure it was for sale with a different garage in April.

That is also the reason that I am not jumping in and buying straight away.

Diggers

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
buy between the end of summer and end of winter to get a bargain - because a convertible is only for summer use (with the invariable mark up).

I have just seen one "R reg" 500SL, blue rise 10% in asking price this last week. I am also sure it was for sale with a different garage in April.

That is also the reason that I am not jumping in and buying straight away.

Diggers

I would be happy to raise my selling price by 10% - or more, if that would help? :rolleyes:

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yeah right Alex

The wallet is staying in the pocket for these "rises" as who are you/they kidding?

I hate these price rises, don't purchase at the increase buy stack up when on offer (unless it's that go-go juice as everywhere is the same).

Top Bottom