Mercedes SLK230 Auto R127 Cutting Out

Neal007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SLK230 Automatic
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem to the one I'm experiencing with my 1999 SLK230. It starts and runs absolutely fine, but after driving for typically 15 to 20 minutes it literally cuts out (engine), and when this happens the coolant fan runs for some time as this occurs. The engine will not then re-start for at least 10 to 15 minutes, at which point it runs fine again for about the same amount of time. There are no misfires or uneven/lumpy running symptoms, the ignition lights are fine and the engine will turn over after it has stopped but it won't attempt to re-start until left for some time. I have fitted a new crank position sensor. Any ideas will be much appreciated, hoping to get it on a diagnostic scanner in a few days but no engine management light showing.
Thanks, Neal.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Lots of possibles, but I'd be inclined to open the E box under the bonnet where the ecu lives and see if there is any sign of moisture in there. We've had a lot of rain lately. I dealt with a w210 E55 this week with a similar fault. When I lifted the lid it was swimming in there. As the car warmed up vapour was rising, condensing on the underside of the lid and then "raining" onto the ecu plugs.

The K40 is in there too. Take a look at that as well.

OP
N

Neal007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SLK230 Automatic
Uncle Benz, Thanks very much for taking the time to advise, that sounds like a good possibility, I'll take a look a look tomorrow and will report back. Thanks again.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom