MID 90s SL

GAML

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1973 SLC converted to diesel
Hello Everybody,
I'm new to mercs but have been wanting to get an SL for ages. I now have the money and a decent garage to keep one in. My questions are endless, but to start with -
any bad things to watch out for?
Is it true that the 500s are not much less economical?
Do 280s feel slow or does it not really matter when cruising anyway?
Any rust problems?
How many miles before I worry about engine rebuilds?
Hood problems and costs?
Looking at the ads seems like they all say recent new front discs - is there a problem with the discs?
Any hard top problems?
Do alloys corrode?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to buy a dog.

Thanks for your help
Graham

Making life easier:- www.white-knight.co.uk/door2door.aspx

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I'm new to mercs but have been wanting to get an SL for ages.

Good choice, especially pre-1998 you should find fewer rust problems - if it has no rust now, it ought not suddenly start to acquire any.

I now have the money and a decent garage to keep one in.

Great asset - will preserve it and save lots of washing - also good for hardtop storage.

My questions are endless, but to start with -
any bad things to watch out for?
Is it true that the 500s are not much less economical?

I would think not enough difference on fuel consumption to make it an issue (I average 23.5 mpg overall) and other costs (brakes, exhausts, batteries) I have yet to encounter, but should be broadly similar.

Do 280s feel slow or does it not really matter when cruising anyway?

SL500 is certainly pleasntly quick!

Any rust problems? - see above, but check the usual places, around lights, wheel arches, front bulk head, suspension mounts. If OK they should remain so. If not, I would walk away.

How many miles before I worry about engine rebuilds?

Don't know. Mine is fine and with correct servicing they should be robust.

Hood problems and costs?

I bought mine with a new hood and 4.5 years later it is still in new condition and has functioned correctly. The hood gives good noise insulation and is bone dry even in the worst weather. 500 has climate control which is a great boon summer and winter.

Looking at the ads seems like they all say recent new front discs - is there a problem with the discs?

Not on mine. What mileages are on the cars involved? Might it reflect the use they have had?

Any hard top problems?

Shouldn't be - the 129 hardtop is aluminium and should not corrode (also 10kg lighter than the older 107 hardtop). Corrosion, if it happens, would be around the rear of the top, just above the tonneau plate of the car, where they meet.

Do alloys corrode? Mine did not corrode but were looking a bit scruffy and brake dust had adsorbed into the surface. Had them reconditioned and they came up like new - about £50 each.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to buy a dog.

Thanks for your help
Graham

Making life easier:- www.white-knight.co.uk/door2door.aspx

Hello Graham and welcome. Clearly I can't be your "White Knight" - you already have one!

There seem to be plenty R129s on the market at present. Quite a few have FMBSH and have modest mileage and have been cherished. Prices never better. Good hunting - we look forward to hearing of (and seeing?) your choice.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
129s do not rust like on other cars, at least, I have not seen one that did, only a late example. there is only 3-4 mpg difference from the smallest up to the largest. The 500 has a better spec as standard, cars after made after mid 95 the windows drop when opening the door, a nice touch, all the wheels up to 08-98 were painted, so no real corrosion issues.

They are not heavy on brakes, though they do weigh in at just under 2 tons

hairyg

Reaction score
Website
www.vegetarian-and-low-calorie-recipes.com
Your Mercedes
R129 (1994) SL320
My 1994 SL320 has done 116,000 miles and the engine burns no oil between services, the brake discs have been replaced once.

I replaced the hood last year as the windows had started to split but it was still fully waterproof if a little scruffy.

I really like my straight six engine, better than the later V6 and much better than the 280 which just doesn't seem to have the necessary grunt for a car that weighs nearly 2 tons.

I've had mine for 4 years and 44,000 miles and I'm certainly not ready to part with it yet. All the R129s are great and there do seem to be bargains to be had in the current market so dive in and enjoy some quality motoring.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom