Mileage issue

Vitobird

Reaction score
Here's a conundrum for my learned friends. C220 goes in for a service by a contributor to this site. Great job done thankyou. Unfortunately the mileage for the service could not be input as mileage had been input incorrectly by a previous MB dealership. We assumed between us that, as the car had been serviced in France and UK, kilometrage had been put in as mileage. Checking my service history I found this to be the case. Cognac dealership have still not put this right after numerous phonecalls and emails. End of tether.... But the story gets stranger. Due to a long running electrical problem I managed to extract a damage history document from MB. To my surprise, the mileage is completely different to that on the car 40,000 miles more to be precise. And it was incorrect before we purchased the car. Mercedes are refusing to acknowledge this problem. I'm up to CEO level now and am exploring options for what to do next. Any input welcome

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I managed to extract a damage history document from MB. To my surprise, the mileage is completely different to that on the car 40,000 miles more to be precise. And it was incorrect before we purchased the car. Mercedes are refusing to acknowledge this problem. I'm up to CEO level now and am exploring options for what to do next. Any input welcome

Wow this is shocking. Your car just gets three or four years older, in resale value. This must be a case of misrepresentation at the time of sale, surely.

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
I'm no lawyer, but if the evidence of the misstated mileage was available to the dealer who sold you the car, then I would think you have a case for misrepresentation as McD mentions above...

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
If you don't get a decent outcome...park it outside the dealership with a large sign telling everyone who visits the dealer what they did to you...get the local paper and radio station onboard...you never know they may pay up to get rid of you!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
How and with what actual evidence have you come to that conclusion ?
I know you mention this "damage history document" but do not explain how it confirms the mileage discrepancy.
Other documentary evidence may contradict it.
40,000 miles comes with tyre changes, service issues including brake wear and tear etc and it might help to speak to a previous owner.

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
MOT history?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I'm pretty sure that even if you were to use a 'mileage correction' service that the car will retain the original mileage within the bowls of an ECU somewhere. I know it was a piece of cake to remove a single mile from the digital odometer of a previous Astra G I used to have using the cheapest of 'TechII' (Vauxhall's version of STAR) & a laptop ....just to see if I could.

wivenhoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 E Class E350e plug in hybrid
Is it possible that the mileage in the document is in klm rather than miles

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
There could be all sorts of reasons for the discrepancy, miles/kms being one. Could have had a replacement instrument panel for some reason. If it proves that the mileage has been tampered with, Trading Standards might be the place to go (but don't be fobbed off by their central call centre). TS don't like clocking (who does) and may add weight to your argument.
As for your unhelpful dealer its just another example of how MB treat customers genuine concerns with virtual contempt. Hope you get some satisfaction eventually.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom