Misfueld today! Petrol in my diesel

Rstfiesta1977

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 w212 saloon 2015
Hi i have a 2015 E250 and today I put petrol in by mistake.
I realised at 0.33 litres! Stoped and filled up with diesel.
The fuel low warning light was on when I went to fill up so I put 50 litres + of diesel in ontop of the petrol
I have read online that the fuel needs taking out and not to drive the car as will result in expensive damage and also that a small amount of petrol will be okay.

Will it be okay with 0.33 only going in?

I have been driving it around today just taking it easy and all seems fine.

Thanks

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Keep topping up with diesel and I very much doubt you’ll have any issues at all.

When it gets below 3/4’s fill it up again

OP
R

Rstfiesta1977

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 w212 saloon 2015
OK thanks I was thinking the same keep diluting the mix.

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
One of my previous colleagues used to say he put a litre or so petrol in his diesel during very cold winter fill ups to help minimise slushing of the fuel (like vodka in the freezer). I have no idea if a litre in 50+ would make any difference, but 0.33 as you have added sounds nothing. Surely diesel and petrol are somewhat similar, so a tiny mixing I would guess was okay?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
0.33 litre is around the size of a can of pop ..... your car won't notice such a small amount of petrol ;)

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
I wouldnt worry about 330ml of petrol in 50 litres of diesel. Thats about the same size as a bottle of fuel additive that some people add to their tanks - which is also a petro-chemical mix...

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Mrs 55 filled her CLK320 Cdi with petrol from empty. That made it about a mile down the road, then had to be recovered. It was pretty much new engine time after that. Still, it was a company car, so all good.

Modern diesels do not like petrol, but very small amounts are probably OK, as has been stated above.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Amongst a full tank of diesel .33 of a litre is nothing, same amount as a can of Coke. Your engine won't even notice it. You were lucky you noticed what you were doing as soon as you did. A few years ago I completely filled the C220 I had then. Didn't realise at all. Drove off of the filling station and went to continue my journey. Got about a 1/4 mile and it started coughing and spluttering. I pulled over and smelt the the fuel filler, Petrol !! :(

Luckily my house insurance covered this type of event with the AA. We waited about an hour for the AA to appear. The most obnoxious AA rescue guy arrived, he drained and flushed the fuel system which took about an hour.

That day cost me the original tank fill up of about £60, the AA to clear the fuel system £220 and the refill of the fuel tank with diesel £70, so around £350 for the day and we didn't actually go anywhere. So you were lucky :rolleyes:

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Years ago I had a Daewoo (Ssangyong) Musso 2.9 Diesel and in the warmer weather ran it on 100% Veg Oil. When the really cold weather came I used to either put 5 litres of unleaded petrol in to a tankful or run it 50/50 with derv. I was told by "those who knew" that 1 gallon (or 5 litres) of unleaded was fine - it just diluted the veg oil enough to keep it "fluid". On the odd occasion when I forgot, I was soon reminded as the cold oil wouldn't run through the system properly and it would cough and jerk.

The Musso had an ancient Mercedes-based engine in it (some said it was like a tractor)! Even so, I never risked veg oil in my "modern" C220!

btw: As mentioned here recently, back then it was (and I think it still is legal to convert up to something like 1300 litres of veg oil per annum.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
I put 1.8 litres of petrol into my C220 CDI about 18 months ago.
Once I noticed the error, I filled it with diesel. That was about 60 litres in total.

I was a bit nervous but the car ran fine and has been perfect since.

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
I put 6 litres of petrol in my almost empty E Class tank 200,000 miles ago. You will be fine. Just don`t do it again !

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I know it's a completely different age of diseasal, but I put £10 of petrol in my near empty diseasal 1700 Astra and it drove 4 or 5 miles home with no problem. the following morning it half heartedly started but wouldn't drive properly so just went to work in AN Other car. I realised later by the receipt what I'd done, so drained out the mixed fuel, refilled with diesel and never had another problem I saved the mixed fuel and added a little at a time to each new tank of diesel :D

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I know it's a completely different age of diseasal, but I put £10 of petrol in my near empty diseasal 1700 Astra and it drove 4 or 5 miles home with no problem. the following morning it half heartedly started but wouldn't drive properly so just went to work in AN Other car. I realised later by the receipt what I'd done, so drained out the mixed fuel, refilled with diesel and never had another problem I saved the mixed fuel and added a little at a time to each new tank of diesel :D

If I remember correctly that was an Isuzu diesel in that car which was probably one of the best diesel engines around at the time :)

Steve Paul Thompson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 W204 C350cdi Blue efficiency sport
Keep topping up with diesel and I very much doubt you’ll have any issues at all.

When it gets below 3/4’s fill it up again
Good advice. It happened to me when I had a Saab 9-3 TID. I did as Blobcat says. No issues.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Very interesting. Fingers crossed - I've never done a misfuel but people I lnow who have had always filled the tank before they found out. Our son in law filled up his diesel pickup with petrol and it died very quickly - before he left the forecourt Luckily the garage he was at allowed him to leave it on site and on the forthcoming Monday they drained the petrol out of it and filled it with diesel. They told him the petrol was "gone" so maybe someone in the firm got a bargain! It coughed and spluttered for a few minutes after it was started up then it was fine. He ran the truck for a few years afterwards with no issues. That seems to be the prooof that if you must misfuel at least derv instead of petrol is the "better" bad choice though, because derv does lubricate wherever it goes whereas petrol washes off any oil traces!

Top Bottom