Misleading MPG figures from MB?

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
It's a while since I started reading this thread which is now quite long, but despite all the criticism, I do not recollect anyone on here coming up with a reliable alternative method. Perhaps because there isn't one?

As has been said, the method used ensures a reliable and undistorted comparison between makes and models - undistorted by the vagaries of weather, cold engine, warm engine, heavy foot, light foot, topography et al.

I notice that in newspaper adverts manufacturers have catered to the punctilious by stating that figures are for comparison purposes only, though this will probably not assuage the unrealistic nitpickers amongst us.

"It should be noted that as the fuel consumption figures quoted are obtained under specific test conditions, they may not be achieved under ‘real world’ driving conditions. However, the figures serve as a means of comparing models of a similar type." (Directgov. website).

"My vehicle does not produce the same fuel consumption figures as shown in the 'New Car Fuel Consumption and Emission Figures' publication and/or the Internet site?

Because of the need to maintain strict comparability of results achieved by the standard tests they cannot be fully representative of real-life driving conditions. Firstly, it is not practicable to test each individual new car; thus only one production car is tested as being representative of the model and may therefore produce a better or worse result than another similar vehicle. Secondly, there are infinite variations in driving styles and in road, car and weather conditions, all of which can have a bearing on the results achieved. For these reasons the consumption achieved on the road will not necessarily accord with the official test results.
" (dft.gov.uk website)

Where's the fakery??

Does it really matter? Does anyone buy or not buy a car because of the fuel consumption figures? Motoring must be a nightmare for those whose ownership revolves around such minutiae.

http://cars.uk.msn.com/exclusives/extreme-fuel-economy-how-green-could-your-car-get

It may not matter to you but fuel consumption and emissions are a concern to many people. Well it is to me anyway so I like to be aware of the emissions and fuel consumption prior to purchasing a car. It may not be the only consideration but it is a consideration. And of course company car drivers like cars with low emissions because it affects the percentage of tax they pay. Not just emissions of course also the purchase list price affects company car tax. The majority of us have limited budgets for living not just motoring.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
It may not matter to you but fuel consumption and emissions are a concern to many people. Well it is to me anyway so I like to be aware of the emissions and fuel consumption prior to purchasing a car. It may not be the only consideration but it is a consideration. And of course company car drivers like cars with low emissions because it affects the percentage of tax they pay. Not just emissions of course also the purchase list price affects company car tax. The majority of us have limited budgets for living not just motoring.

And that is precisely what the figures are for, assessing tax, comparing models. The tax doesn't change because of the "real world" figures and as such shouldn't be a concern.
There are far too many uncontrolled variables in day to day driving to ever expect to match the official figures consistently.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

On a lighter mode these figure published do at times give us something to strive for on some runs, apart from being the base line for income and car allowances it fun just trying to reach or beat these figures.

In my case I can easily get to 29mpg out of the best for the 31mpg published, and in fact I can beat the first 2 figures with ease.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
It's a while since I started reading this thread which is now quite long, but despite all the criticism, I do not recollect anyone on here coming up with a reliable alternative method. Perhaps because there isn't one?

I did.

I said simply copy the USA's method of testing, it is far more accurate and most customers tend to match the advertised figures.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
This was what I posted earlier....

....The US system which is City and Highway.
Far better than our Urban and Extra Urban as it is more realistic.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1089144&page=2

Still only averaging 48mph but does include accelerating up to 80mph.

Hence why their figures are far more accurate.

Tests are over 43 miles, not our silly 6 miles for both!

Far easier to hit the US figures.
In fact when buying a car see what the US model says it does if available and use that.

Here is an example of the E250cdi

US model...
City fuel economy 28 mpg (33mpg euro)
Highway fuel economy 45 mpg (54mpg euro)

UK model....
Fuel Consumption
Urban (mpg)
Extra-urban (mpg)
Combined (mpg)

Both the same E250cdi auto saloon, but which customer do you think will be impressed with their consumption and which one do you think will feel cheated?

You can't blame the manufacturer, you can only blame the testing and yourself.

M-B Dave

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C216 CL500 2009 38k • W168 2001 104k
It's good to see how many MPG you can get on a long run. I did it once.

Since then it's been a hoot not caring, I get way more SPG driving for pleasure rather than driving to see what I can eek out of the car.
It wasn't bought for economy anyway. I'd have bought a Yaris (cough, spit) if MPG was top priority

SPG = Smiles Per Gallon and inversely proportionate to MPG :cool:

Great, I was getting mildly depressed reading this thread and thinking that I was the only one who doesn't really care about MPGs ... not even for the W168, never mind the CL. In fact, if these both were quoted at 100MPG / 50g/km emission, I'd be a lot happier ;) :rolleyes: Imagine CL with £0 VED ... lovely-jubley

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom