Missing spare wheel nuts

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
At some point when my wheels were off the locking wheel nut was just let sitting in the spare in the boot, I used to have the MB small box that lived in the glove box that also had the redundant nuts. It's probably a small irrelevant problem but having the important bit just sat in the spare is annoying.
Would I ever need the spare nuts?

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I think you only need the spare bolts if you have a steel spare as they would be too long and damage the brakes. With an alloy spare they are not normally required.
What type of spare do you have?

Last edited:

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
I think the bolts that are in the pack with the locking nut key are to replace the locking nuts if you decide not to use them. I have a box like this and my space saver wheel has its own set of bolts within the recess.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I think the bolts that are in the pack with the locking nut key are to replace the locking nuts if you decide not to use them. I have a box like this and my space saver wheel has its own set of bolts within the recess.

The bolts in the box were those originally fitted to the car as the locking wheel nuts were fitted at the dealers. Try losing the lock nut key & Mercedes don't have a record of it, on the other hand, when the lock nut key was broken on EmilysMum's Citroen, Citroen already knew the details of it when I ordered a replacement.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have a space saver, I will have a look to see if there are some other bolts somewhere. I'm sure when it was at KwikFit last year the box was left on the drivers seat. The rear wheels were off since when the parking brake was adjusted. Thanks.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I have a space saver, I will have a look to see if there are some other bolts somewhere. .....

I'd expect the steel space save will need shorter bolts .... if so you'll need to find them.

IMHO it's a bit of a design flaw if you need a different set of bolts for the steel spare. I wonder how many times a steel spare is dug out of the boot to find the shorter bolts are missing. My Vauxhalls all used the same bolts as does EmilysMum's Citroen

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The case with the bolts is useful because you can then get rid of the useless locking wheel bolts. They do stop wheel theft (is that even a thing anymore?) but they stop owners getting their wheels off a lot more often and it's then an expensive and absolute pain to get the wheels off with a broken locking wheel bolt.

Some space savers may require shorter bolts, if they do there will be a plastic blow molded frame that fits onto the space saver wheel in the wheel well. Later space savers don't need the shorter bolts as they modified the mountings to make them thicker so the same bolts can be used.

If you're unsure, check the manual or test fit one with the normal bolts and give it a turn when it's up in the air.

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
Agree with Blobcat on getting rid of the locking wheel nuts - removed them from both of our cars. When did you last hear of wheels being stolen?

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Agree with Blobcat on getting rid of the locking wheel nuts - removed them from both of our cars. When did you last hear of wheels being stolen?
Fair point, no one is going to take mine :D. Now a £5k set of Porsche wheels on the other hand!!

Brat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E220 estate
Fair point, no one is going to take mine :D. Now a £5k set of Porsche wheels on the other hand!!
Just bought an 2018 GLC which I've only just noticed doesn't have locking wheel nuts. Is that the norm these days?

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Just bought an 2018 GLC which I've only just noticed doesn't have locking wheel nuts. Is that the norm these days?
My GLC, also 2018, has locking nuts with the normal ones in a box. Next time the wheels are off, I will ask for the locking ones to be replaced with the normal ones as per the advice above.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

Not for a long time, the vast majority of us use locking wheel nuts :rolleyes:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
The bolts in the box were those originally fitted to the car as the locking wheel nuts were fitted at the dealers. Try losing the lock nut key & Mercedes don't have a record of it, on the other hand, when the lock nut key was broken on EmilysMum's Citroen, Citroen already knew the details of it when I ordered a replacement.

There's only a few patterns for the Mercedes one and the dealers have master sets so it shouldn't be an issue getting another.

We had to get one for a Honda and the car came with a tag to identify the key - only cost £9 too. I tried to get one for our VW as a spare and VW don't sell them - have to replace the whole set which the dealer will kindly do for £70.

Re the extra bolts for the space-saver - on my car they're in a bubble pack under the spare wheel. I didn't get the unused non-locking bolts - the key was with the toolkit.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
There might be a small plastic case with the spare wheel (if you have one of those...:rolleyes:) which has locking wheel bolts in. First thing I do is remove the locking bolts and put normal ones back in. You'll find many more issues with locking bolts being over tightened and almost unable to remove than wheels being stolen.

Top Bottom