1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing spare wheel nuts

Discussion in 'Bodywork, Tyres, Wheels & Trim' started by Capra, May 10, 2019.

1. Capra

Capra Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
    At some point when my wheels were off the locking wheel nut was just let sitting in the spare in the boot, I used to have the MB small box that lived in the glove box that also had the redundant nuts. It's probably a small irrelevant problem but having the important bit just sat in the spare is annoying.
    Would I ever need the spare nuts?

2. AnthonyUK

AnthonyUK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C240 estate 2002
    I think you only need the spare bolts if you have a steel spare as they would be too long and damage the brakes. With an alloy spare they are not normally required.
    What type of spare do you have?

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Capra likes this.
  3. daibevan

daibevan Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006
    I think the bolts that are in the pack with the locking nut key are to replace the locking nuts if you decide not to use them. I have a box like this and my space saver wheel has its own set of bolts within the recess.

4. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    The bolts in the box were those originally fitted to the car as the locking wheel nuts were fitted at the dealers. Try losing the lock nut key & Mercedes don't have a record of it, on the other hand, when the lock nut key was broken on EmilysMum's Citroen, Citroen already knew the details of it when I ordered a replacement.

Capra likes this.
  5. OP
    Capra

Capra Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    I have a space saver, I will have a look to see if there are some other bolts somewhere. I'm sure when it was at KwikFit last year the box was left on the drivers seat. The rear wheels were off since when the parking brake was adjusted. Thanks.

6. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    I'd expect the steel space save will need shorter bolts .... if so you'll need to find them.

IMHO it's a bit of a design flaw if you need a different set of bolts for the steel spare. I wonder how many times a steel spare is dug out of the boot to find the shorter bolts are missing. My Vauxhalls all used the same bolts as does EmilysMum's Citroen

Capra likes this.
  7. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    The case with the bolts is useful because you can then get rid of the useless locking wheel bolts. They do stop wheel theft (is that even a thing anymore?) but they stop owners getting their wheels off a lot more often and it's then an expensive and absolute pain to get the wheels off with a broken locking wheel bolt.

Some space savers may require shorter bolts, if they do there will be a plastic blow molded frame that fits onto the space saver wheel in the wheel well. Later space savers don't need the shorter bolts as they modified the mountings to make them thicker so the same bolts can be used.

If you're unsure, check the manual or test fit one with the normal bolts and give it a turn when it's up in the air.

daibevan, Tony Dyson and Capra like this.
  8. Larkone

Larkone Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLS 320CDI 2008
    Agree with Blobcat on getting rid of the locking wheel nuts - removed them from both of our cars. When did you last hear of wheels being stolen?

Capra likes this.
  9. OP
    Capra

Capra Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Fair point, no one is going to take mine :D. Now a £5k set of Porsche wheels on the other hand!!