ML 270 CDI Any problems?

Dockgreen

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the reply to my question about the LPG ML 320 has anybody any idea what I should check in particular with the 270 CDI is there anything I should avoid?

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
Yes, buying the thing in the first place if it was made before 2008 unless it's being given away for a song and you intend to run it in to the ground !

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
Yes, buying the thing in the first place if it was made before 2008 unless it's being given away for a song and you intend to run it in to the ground !

Ahem, excuse me. 2001 must have been a Good Year. No rust, ultra-reliable and able to wade through 1 metre-deep cold, fast-running, muddy water with no leaks :D

Oh, and being worth LOTS more now, than I paid for it over 2 years ago (in Spain, anyway :p)

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
2004... rust now appeared on back door at top of number plate area . Odd rust spiders appearing on both rear doors. 30 mpg if I crawl along inside lane of M6 at 56 mph with a good tail wind and no passengers.
Rattles from dashboard area indicate that some one has formed a skiffle group behind there some where.
Banging noise from underneath, rear. Have swung from exhaust, spare wheel contraption, both wheels but can't trace.
MOT next week.... dreading it.

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
try your rear anti roll bar drop links.

I don't think that we can judge the entire ML experience on one individuals experience. As per previous post we must have a good one (02), as apart from the occasional niggle - it gets abused and keeps coming back for more.

Mark

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi been thinking about this but what can you find wrong buy just looking bit of rust possibly our get the fault codes read but they can be cancelled anyway, could look for black death, bottom ball joints can only be checked buy jacking the wheel of the ground and moving wheel with a decent pry bar, rear anti roll bar drop links are a easy fix, same with disc's, pads & shoes maybe checking for oil seeping down from under the inlet manifold down the side of the engine this might mean that the turbo is loosing some oil as mine does but I never top up between oil changes, could check the gear changes 3 to 4 for fairing if its an auto, mine has dome 215,000 miles last night I did 400 miles of 60 lts 82 mph on cruise think that 30. something mpg

Kevin

MarkF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi

That's a bit harsh, what do you base this on?

I have had a 2002 ML270CDi for 3 years now and covered over 40000 trouble free miles. Two new ball joints, and a small problem with the electronic pack on the gearbox in all this time is by any means no reason at all to buy this fantastic car. As for rust, mine has very little. My 10 month old Freelander was rusting more hence the swap to the ML.
Would I have another. YES and will change it in a few years for a new 320CDi.

Go get one they are firts class, just make sure you get one that has been looked after like mine, it came with all the paperwork even the PDI copy.

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
Banging noise from underneath, rear. Have swung from exhaust, spare wheel contraption, both wheels but can't trace.

Try tightening the 8 large bolts that hold the chassis to the body, all of them can be accessed just by knealing underneath. I had a severe knocking over rough ground and they were the culprit.

Torque

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230 K
I think there are some threads relating to possible gear box problems other than that I think they are good vehicles and am looking for one myself as I type!!!!

OP
D

Dockgreen

Reaction score
That's a bit harsh, what do you base this on?

I have had a 2002 ML270CDi for 3 years now and covered over 40000 trouble free miles. Two new ball joints, and a small problem with the electronic pack on the gearbox in all this time is by any means no reason at all to buy this fantastic car. As for rust, mine has very little. My 10 month old Freelander was rusting more hence the swap to the ML.
Would I have another. YES and will change it in a few years for a new 320CDi.

Go get one they are firts class, just make sure you get one that has been looked after like mine, it came with all the paperwork even the PDI copy.

Thats very encouraging I intend to be very carefull and do a bit more research, I have read that early ones seem to have problems but yours is quite early, anyhow thanks very much.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom