ml 270 cdi oil leak from inlet manifold w163

1meanmachine

I have the same issue. So following this thread with interest. Is there a guide on how to remove the swirl flaps.

dryerman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 2001 & ML 270 2003
Just to return to this thread. Oil leaking from inlet manifold. On my engine I can see the actuating rod/arm has disconnected from where it should be, I can push the arm backwards then it returns, so in what position does leave the flaps in or are they free to move about? Engine seems to run OK otherwise.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
The spring pressure keeps the flaps open.

knowlep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270CDI W163 2000
Inlet manifold gaskets when doing mod on swirl flaps

Guys,
I've been reading up and I'm ready to do the manifold modification but I've studied loads of photos and it looks to me like the inlet gaskets themselves also fail to seal to the head properly as they look in some cases like they fail to protrude from the manifold itself. Do new gaskets solve this issue or should I put a bit of sealant behind them before I install them into the manifold to help this issue ?

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Not needed with diesels.

I re-use them, unless there's obvious damage.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Not needed with diesels.

I re-use them, unless there's obvious damage.

Not strictly true. Sure, no vacuum to protect with a diesel but there is manifold boost to contain. If the rings are not sealing, get new ones. I wouldn't use sealant by choice.

Ian.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
This would also fit in to the new petrol engines being designed. there is no vacuum and runs like a diesel, and the flaps can control the mixture taking it down to the leanest burn possible something like 14 to 1 if I remember,,and getting 4 to 5 sparks per stroke. The same engine had no running gear,,all of the valves were controlled by solenoids

solenoids......
i cant wait for that to happen ,more ****** electric/electronics, if merc are lucky that stuff will just make it to the end of the warranty, i wont be getting involved in that. think i will buy a classic ford mexico or audi quattro. suspect my next decent car will be my last .

Last edited:

knowlep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270CDI W163 2000
Swirl flap housing question

I love my ML and I love this thread with the knowledge base of everyone.....

I have another burning question about the swirl flap removal....

I notice that the swirl flaps themselves fit inside their own "housing" in the manifold and on the mods I've seen this housing remains in the manifold when the manifold is refitted to the head.

My question is does the swirl flap actuating arm stop this housing from coming out of the manifold when it's fitted i.e. Is there a danger of the housing coming loose once the manifold is refitted or does the cylinder head prevent this. I also notice that these housings form a part of the gasket retaining surface as well so is this why they are left in ?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom