ML 270 CDi

luders79

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 estate
Ive got one that intermittently starts, but must of the time It wont even crank over! when it wont start you can tell its going to happen as the suction fan runs on full speed. when it doesnt start no comms with engine ecu and can fault codes in other modules saying no comms with engine! Could it be a power supply probelms to the ecu? would the fan run at full speed if engine ecu is not fully powered up?? If not why would the fan run!

Thanks for any info

Lee

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Fan command is via CAN, sourced from engine ecu (IIRC...) so it suggests that something is going on with the engine ecu. Worth having a look at the ecu wiring, particularly the earth. Sadly you can't try one from another vehicle, and ecu testing companies can be a bit variable...- but you know that already...

Fan controllers do fail commonly. Might be worth unplugging the small CAN connector from the fan controller and see if it makes any difference, but I think that it's a long shot.

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
wel matey, with das we can easily pinpoint the problem with drive authorisation signal test. how do you know the comms faulty? has it been on a diagnostic, if so which one? also does it say `start error` in dash?

this is probably colin's sort of thing, i think he has particular expertise in breakdowns. i do know that they occasionaly have failing AAMs (module/fuse box in engine bay) this could well explain the problem, ecu is easy to check for power supply. also have a seperate D.A.S module which deals with the transponder and cans to AAM then CDI (from memory), these also can fail but do not really fit your symptoms.

so my guess, failed AAM (all activity module). later models also have an EAM (extended activity module) but i don't think this is in the chain.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Does "Start error" come up in the dash

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom