ML 270, I Am Over The Moon

muller1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 Cdi and S type Jag 2.7 Diesel Sport Saloon, and now a VW diesel GT golf
I have had my ML 270 Auto for 6 months and had it re-mapped a couple of monthe ago.
The more I drive it the more I love it.
Last week end was the first time I towed my twin axle caravan with the Merc
(1480kgs empty) to Aberlour from Turriff.
I was amazed at the way it towed so easily and effortlessly.
I used to tow with a Land Cruiser and it just walked away with it, and my Volvo V70 Turbo Diesel struggled like you would not believe to the point I vowed I would never tow with it again.
I got shot of the volvo and replaced it with the Merc and it was the best thing I have done in a long time.
I also have a 2 year old Jaguar S type 2.7 V 6 twin turbo Diesel and it just sits in the garage as I prefer the Merc as it just does everything I could wish for so well and easily.
You can tell I am in love with it.

Mike

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Evening Mike,

Just read the post and have to say how good it is to see such enthusiasm and excellent feedback, keep on enjoying your ride.:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Its interesting the the way some do and some do not.

I had a Alfetta 1.8 that pulled a heavy van better than the Jag 4.2

Pleased that you love the ML

ml 270

Reaction score
I have just purchased a 03 ml 270 too and have the option of having it remapped. what did you specify when you had it remapped, power / economy or both, any advice and what mpg are you getting from it now?

OP
M

muller1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML Remap

I just went for 190 hp , and a bit more torque.
I noticed the difference and the fuel runs out at about 32 to 34 mpg and that is not pussy footing but running to my work at 60 to 70 mph on rural roads and using s fair bit of acceleration when required.
I run 25 miles to work and the same back.
I am pleased with it.

Mike

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Where did you get the remap done Mike - did it make any difference to you insurance ??

clive-cls

Banned
Reaction score
If you get the remap for economy purposes then it should not have an effect ... What sort of power increases did you see ?

clive-cls

Banned
Reaction score
I have just purchased a 03 ml 270 too and have the option of having it remapped. what did you specify when you had it remapped, power / economy or both, any advice and what mpg are you getting from it now?

Personally i would recommend GCL Tuning not just because i have but because of the major benefits that they offer such as warranty the fact all work is custom to the vehicle and the owner so if your not happy it can be changed very quickly to suit you unlike some company's i contacted that offer the one size software witch cannot be altered last of all there a great bunch and know there stuff ...

Clive

OP
M

muller1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you get the remap for economy purposes then it should not have an effect ... What sort of power increases did you see ?
You are not quite correct in your assumption.
Engines are drawn up, designed and tested for the engineers paramaters.
The bean counters then put their sticky paws on the project and a lot of corners are cut to reduce the production costs.
This has the effect of the finished article not being the exact engine the designer came up with.
Then they throw in the idea that the engine will be run on crap fuel in Botswana and the oil never changed, overloaded and overworked and you then end up with the production engine that is fitted to your vehicle.
Tuning an engine should then go somewhere to restore some of the pep the engine was designed for.
Tuning is not about wasting fuel but getting the last drop of power from the fuel.
In a lot of cases a re mapped engine will not only give more power but will make better use of the fuel and thereby use less fuel to produce a given amount of work.
I used to race cars and did my own tuning and engine building and some of my racing chums ran "Blueprinted" engines, this ment making the engine EXACTLY as the original blueprints of the design engineers wished before the produiction side got their hands on it and the power increase was astounding.
I do not know how much extra power I am gettiung but I notice the difference in take off and pulling power.
The fuel consumption is almost exactly as it was before but with more power.
If I were not to use the increase in power I would get more MPG but I am not out to save the planet only enjoy my car as it should be enjoyed.

OP
M

muller1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Where did you get the remap done Mike - did it make any difference to you insurance ??
I had the rework done at Morrison Motors in Turriff as they represent a national tuning outlet.
My jag is just awaiting a re-map from Celtic Tuning but as I am off next week to france I decided to wait till I get back just in case there is a glitch.
I have not informed my insurers as I do not have a Subaru Impretza or Ferarri only a diesel ML 270 and I did not have the re-map for racing on the roads only to make my driving more enjoyable and towing my caravan easier.

Regards.
Mike

P

PanzerMcGrory

I had the rework done at Morrison Motors in Turriff as they represent a national tuning outlet.
My jag is just awaiting a re-map from Celtic Tuning but as I am off next week to france I decided to wait till I get back just in case there is a glitch.
I have not informed my insurers as I do not have a Subaru Impretza or Ferarri only a diesel ML 270 and I did not have the re-map for racing on the roads only to make my driving more enjoyable and towing my caravan easier.

Regards.
Mike

You can take your caravan around Scotland to see if there are any Scots left outside of the Clyde?

By the way the W163 is a great motor apart from the usual MB wilderness years flaws.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport

Regards.
Mike

If you do not notify your insurers, your policy will be null and void.

Any modifications have to be notified. Quite right that this should be so IMO.

clive-cls

Banned
Reaction score
You are not quite correct in your assumption.
Engines are drawn up, designed and tested for the engineers paramaters.
The bean counters then put their sticky paws on the project and a lot of corners are cut to reduce the production costs.
This has the effect of the finished article not being the exact engine the designer came up with.
Then they throw in the idea that the engine will be run on crap fuel in Botswana and the oil never changed, overloaded and overworked and you then end up with the production engine that is fitted to your vehicle.
Tuning an engine should then go somewhere to restore some of the pep the engine was designed for.
Tuning is not about wasting fuel but getting the last drop of power from the fuel.
In a lot of cases a re mapped engine will not only give more power but will make better use of the fuel and thereby use less fuel to produce a given amount of work.
I used to race cars and did my own tuning and engine building and some of my racing chums ran "Blueprinted" engines, this ment making the engine EXACTLY as the original blueprints of the design engineers wished before the produiction side got their hands on it and the power increase was astounding.
I do not know how much extra power I am gettiung but I notice the difference in take off and pulling power.
The fuel consumption is almost exactly as it was before but with more power.
If I were not to use the increase in power I would get more MPG but I am not out to save the planet only enjoy my car as it should be enjoyed.

Well if i were to get a insurance quote on a performance remap then my premium would raise by £50 or so however an economy remap will not affect.

As for not notifying your insurers you policy will be invalid . GCL Tuning are also insurance approved .

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Well if i were to get a insurance quote on a performance remap then my premium would raise by £50 or so however an economy remap will not affect.

As for not notifying your insurers you policy will be invalid . GCL Tuning are also insurance approved .

It doesn't matter that they are insurance approved. You still have to notify the insurance company of any mods or your policy will be null and void.

I think convincing them that the remap only improves economy should be fun.

clive-cls

Banned
Reaction score
this is not my battle im afraid . Ive done this already aviva group were very helpful and fully understood as stated previously no change in my cover or cost

Clive

GCLTuning

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.gcltuning.co.uk
Afternoon ,

A remap is still classed as in enhancement therefore your insurance will have to be notified if not you have no insurance . We hold the insurance approved status meaning we are working with insurers to prove if a vehicle has had an upgrade an not notified the appropriate (not catching people out just aiding everyone) if this is not done you are as bad as the fool's that don't insure vehicles and put all of our premiums through the roof .

Regards GCL Tuning

PS Clive e mail sent with files attached

David P

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I live in North Devon and I can't find anyone to fettle my ML270. Does anyone know of anybody who can remap the ECU and not fit a plug in box?

Thanks

David P

Reaction score
Has anyone ever fitted a 'racechip'? They come from Germany and are a plug in box. any thoughts?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom