ML 270 parking brake adjustment

David P

Reaction score
Hi Gang

No such thing as a stupid question, or so they say. This may change your mind...

So the back of the car is jacked up, on axle stands and a hydraulic jack on one side on the rear subframe. The front wheels are up against drive on ramps (don't have any chocks) and I have to adjust the parking brake. One wheel is off and I am using the 'off' wheel and an old bag of cement as chocks on the other rear wheel. The wife is supervising. :(

So my wife applies the footbrake and releases the parking brake. She s l o w l y releases the foot brake, all OK so far, and I can't spin the hub because the gear box is in 'park'.

Now call me a wuss if you like but isn't releasing the gearbox a point of no return? :-?

So the first thing is, have you got any encouraging ideas as to how to secure the car so that I can rotate the hub.

Second thing is, when i've done that, what do you do to align the parking brake adjuster? Seems like a bit of a palaver all of a sudden. It's got to be done because it's on about 11 clicks and still does nowt.

Answers on a used fiver to the usual address please!

David

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OP
D

David P

Reaction score
I reckon that it's the shoes that are worn out as the parking brake release is under tension. I figure (without really knowing!) that the two are connected.

Any ideas?

David

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You should really use an axle stand for safety so that you can rotate the wheel.

The sprag one way clutch could be faulty, but the drums will gave to come of to see and check the linings

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom