ML Cursed

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
Left the locking wheel nut key in place after changing two tyres yesterday. Of course it fell out when I drove off and is now lost. I intend to head to the main stealers to see if they can match a replacement up from their collection. Thing is, how do I know if the locking wheel nuts were original Merc ones in the first place ?

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
MB will tell you. Me id go back to the start of the journey to find it.

jib

OP
T

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
Two of us have been wandering around some streets today, staring at the floor and getting some odd looks.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Try looking in your service book to see if the locking wheel nut code is there

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They will know when you get there,,they carry the full set

OP
T

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
and if it isn't I'll need one of those special removal tools. The nut apertures on my wheels are quite small so I hope I can get one that is thin enough to go in. Didn't have a small enough socket to use on the air gun, had to use the wheel nut removal device that came with the car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
MB use radius bolts and few others make them, so you are safe

OP
T

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
Called at the MB place in Warrington ( the one you can see from the M6). Parts dept got out the master set of wheel nuts checked through till they found mine and sold me a replacement at £24.

kristoff

Reaction score
And whats the moral of this story? If you like your alloys, for gods sake get some aftermarket locking nuts on there. Every tea leaf in the country has a set of master keys at his disposal and even without them, I got the standard ones off my ML in 30 secs using a £1.50 draper socket.

I now have a set of trilocks, a set of mcgard ultra (these aren't ever coming off if you loose the key - so be careful) and a set of custom ones a machinest friend of mine made up. Short off cutting the wheel off with a oxy thet torch my rims are going nowhere without the keys.

TBH I reckon just a set of the ultras would do it. My mate lost the key for his set on his focus ST and we had to cut the wheel in half to get it off. Couldn't even drill it out with a diamond bit. Awesome bolts.

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
Ohhhh!!!! This has jogged the memory here......

I used to have a work collegue who must have lost 4 or 5 Locking wheel nut keys...

In the end he bought 2 replacements & WELDED one into a wheel brace meant he had to carry 2 braces but hey it worked fer him!!!

NEVER LOST ANOTHER AFTER THAT!!!!!!

Top Bottom