ML W163 Bi-Xenon Self-Levelling Motor - Replaceable?

Gillibrand

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML350
I have a 2003 ML350 W163 with factory fitted Bi-Xenons. The n/s light seems to point too high (several inches higher than the o/s when about 2' from a wall). I have tried adjusting it manually, which moved it a bit but not enough. Can you replace the self-levelling motor on these headlights? Any hazards involved eg electrocution? Otherwise thinking it might be easiest just to get a second-hand light from a breaker. Any comments would be very welcome, thanks.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Its possible the sensor arm has become detached on the n/s light, so check this before assuming its the self levelling motor.

If you aren't sure an indy can soon check this for you using STAR. Not sure what part of Kent you are but Wright-Tech in Sidcup are are recommended indy.
http://www.wrighttechuk.com/

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The internal levelling actuator is internal to the lamp and is not a service part. There is no one currently with the capability to do this work.

However, if you can spare the lamp for a week I would be happy to attempt a repair for you.

OP
Gillibrand

Gillibrand

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML350
Many thanks for the quick responses. There are some ingenious solutions on the Benzworld pages, thanks for that link! I live near Sidcup so have contacted the Wrighttech guys, I think proper diagnosis is probably the best first step. Thanks also for offer of help Craig68, will review once I've got a better idea of what the actual problem is. Will keep the site posted on outcome, although going away shortly so might be brief pause.

OP
Gillibrand

Gillibrand

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML350
Just to report back... had a quick response from the Sidcup Merc guys, diagnostic test is £57. However last night, I found a used headlight unit on ebay at a Breaker's for £75. It is the Bi-xenon unit. Very luckily it was just a couple of miles from someone I was visiting today, so I collected it this morning. Fitted it this afternoon and it works perfectly. I think I was fortunate finding a complete working unit at that price.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom