ML W163 CDi Blue Smoke

rjevon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDi 2002
Hi All,

On way back from France this week the ML perfromed faultlessly through france towing my Twin Axel 1650kg caravan.

Docked in Dover and towed the van up the long hill out of dover, the temp gauge hit 98 degrees - I know the exact tem as I have a ScanGuage attached.

At this point I was accelerating hard to overtake up this hill, I noticed a haze of blue / grey smoke coming from the exhaust... Oil I suspected and also suspected a possible turbo seal issue.

It did not do it again all the way back to the Midlands, even though the tem hi 100 degrees at one piont.

My turbo has for a while now whistled, MerTrux say they all do this and said no fault.

I am worried that this could cause a massive failure and damage the engine.

Thoughts anyone ?

Richard

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Hi All,

On way back from France this week the ML perfromed faultlessly through france towing my Twin Axel 1650kg caravan.

Docked in Dover and towed the van up the long hill out of dover, the temp gauge hit 98 degrees - I know the exact tem as I have a ScanGuage attached.

At this point I was accelerating hard to overtake up this hill, I noticed a haze of blue / grey smoke coming from the exhaust... Oil I suspected and also suspected a possible turbo seal issue.

It did not do it again all the way back to the Midlands, even though the tem hi 100 degrees at one piont.

My turbo has for a while now whistled, MerTrux say they all do this and said no fault.

I am worried that this could cause a massive failure and damage the engine.

Thoughts anyone ?

Richard

Have had a similar experience with my ML in very similar circumstances - towing up long steep hill. I am not totally familiar with the internals of a Benz diesel but my experience with other engines reminded me of a set of oil squirters that squirt oil up into the cylinder bore and inner piston area when piston temps get too high - it is to cool them down obviously. This floods the bore somewhat and overcomes the ability of the oil rings to wipe the bore clean. Thus oil smoke is seen. All stops when temps return to normal.
I assumed this was the reason for the smoke. Maybe some Benz techie might shoot me down here.... My experience has been with Japanese engines.

OP
R

rjevon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDi 2002
Anyone with any views on this post ?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom