ML W164 charging problem

Hercules

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320/2006-w203/2006
Hello there, I have lately investigating a problem Having engine starting from cold, engine starts OK but no as quick is used to do before , it takes about 2 to 3 sec to start compare to 1 sec as usual
At first I thought it was the battery and I replaced it last March,I went to the battery vendor yesterday to check the battery and it confirmed that the battery is OK it just back need recharging.

I checked the battery when I got home and the voltage was 12.8 volts engine of and 13.8 engine running at 2500 revs.
I did some research and if i understood right the voltage out of the alternator should be around 14.4 volts.

Is the regulator need to be replaced or is OK ??

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
If the engine is turning over fine but not starting it’s not a battery or charging issue.

If the engine is sluggish at turning over then you have a battery issue.

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Follow the heavy cable from the starter motor and clean/re-make any connections where there's a join. They could be partially corroded, thanks to our generous MOT splashing so much salt around...

When you're passing hundreds of amps, it only needs a few milliohms to loose enough volts to affect the starting, so make sure there's good clean electrical path to the battery. It's a long cable, which only makes things worse.

That being said, slower starting must be expected when the temperature is as low as it's been lately

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom