ML W164 Drivers door opens when locked

OP
andrew056

andrew056

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 SL320 gone but not forgotten , 2004 240 CLK cabrio, 2006 ML 320cdi gone, GLC AMG 43
Chris No you don't have to take the screw out but it has to be undone . Where the screw sits in a hole just in front and above the hole you can see the catch , its actually metal , you can either flick it down with a long flat screwdriver through the hole you accessed the torx screw or if you prise out the reflector you can access it through there with a small screwdriver. Once you spot it its obvious! I think I might have to buy a new barrel as the key turns but doesn't move the actuator part on the other end which was stuck in the emergency unlock position hence the original problem.

Andrew

Chris & Sue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 C180K Estate 2008 ML 320cdi
Thank's Andrew,I will give it a go when it stops raining.

Chris & Sue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That catch is very well hidden, I got my barrel out and I am in the same situation as you, the door can't be opened now but the key doesn't work. I don't know which is worse.

OP
andrew056

andrew056

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 SL320 gone but not forgotten , 2004 240 CLK cabrio, 2006 ML 320cdi gone, GLC AMG 43
I am going to investigate the cost of a new barrel because I think something must be broken inside , this obviously must be quite a weak part as there seem to be quite a few people with the same problem .I wonder why so many of these are stuck in the emergency unlock position, I feel uneasy now every time I lock the car thinking what if it doesn't open. I put up a new post in the bodywork section to see if anybody had any more info on this problem.

Andrew

Chris & Sue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Your right, there could be hundreds of vehicles with this problem and the owner's not knowing, I only found out because I had some new keys made and was testing them. When I took my barrel out I did notice that the plastic part would come apart from the metal barrel, whether this would allow you to inspect the inside I don't know, I didn't want to pull it apart in case I couldn't put it back together.

OP
andrew056

andrew056

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am going to get mine fixed one way or another as I won't feel comfortable being unable to unlock the car if there is a problem with the remote. I will keep you posted .

OP
andrew056

andrew056

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Finally got the new door lock today £180 ish and about 10 minutes to fit , I can now unlock in an emergency . Had to come from Germany and took about 8 weeks! I still can't understand how these locks get broken it can only be people turning the key and expecting that to unlock the door and then forcing it when nothing happens. You must read your handbook!!
Andrew

zenman63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 AMG slk 350 slk 55 AMG
Digging out an old post, My ML63 does the same thing, pull the handle twice and bingo the door opens!
Not sure what needs doing but about to find out.

m0mol

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 320cdi 2008 W164
Just had to sign up to give kudos to MBDT and Andrew056 for this fix.. Had my ML since January and just found this today. A couple of goes and it was sorted..

Pull the rubber grommet out of the edge of the door, look in the hole with a torch towards the outer door panel and you will see the required screw. Loosen the screw right off, flick the catch down (better to remove reflector for this. look in the hole and just above where the screwdriver goes into the lock, there's a little lever. Flick it down with a screwdriver so it covers the screw hole.) Then, give the whole lock assembly (black surround included, a bit of a wiggle and a good pull.. Be careful however, as there is an electrical connection on the back. Once out, look on the back of the lock and theres a little round pin stuck up. I played with the key and pushed the pin until it moved through 90 degrees then re-assembled everything. Lock back in (good push and mind connector), lever back up, screw in, reflector and grommet back in and voila :D

Kevin Day

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320 W164 2005
Similarly to the above from m0mol - I just had to sign up (been meaning to anyway) to thank all the above posters for the advice here. Had this problem on my 2006 ML320, and it had been driving me mad. Really appreciate the help and advice given, such a great resource. Look forward to many more posts to read and hopefully contribute! :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Just had to sign up to give kudos to MBDT and Andrew056 for this fix.. Had my ML since January and just found this today. A couple of goes and it was sorted..

Pull the rubber grommet out of the edge of the door, look in the hole with a torch towards the outer door panel and you will see the required screw. Loosen the screw right off, flick the catch down (better to remove reflector for this. look in the hole and just above where the screwdriver goes into the lock, there's a little lever. Flick it down with a screwdriver so it covers the screw hole.) Then, give the whole lock assembly (black surround included, a bit of a wiggle and a good pull.. Be careful however, as there is an electrical connection on the back. Once out, look on the back of the lock and theres a little round pin stuck up. I played with the key and pushed the pin until it moved through 90 degrees then re-assembled everything. Lock back in (good push and mind connector), lever back up, screw in, reflector and grommet back in and voila :D
Welcome and good work

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Similarly to the above from m0mol - I just had to sign up (been meaning to anyway) to thank all the above posters for the advice here. Had this problem on my 2006 ML320, and it had been driving me mad. Really appreciate the help and advice given, such a great resource. Look forward to many more posts to read and hopefully contribute! :)
Welcome as well....

ken555

Reaction score
Website
www.catherineandken.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2007 AMG ML63
Are those cars with keyless entry/go different ?

Just taken out the bung and reflector, and there is no screw to be seen. Just molded plastic and bowden cables.

Top Bottom