ML W164 Engine Mount replacement

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Looks like my RHS engine mount is leaking grey goo, so I guess i'll have to get greasy again..

Anyone done this? The manual describes taking the alternator off and all sorts of other rigmarole, is it really that difficult?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Not sure on ML but an SL (r230) can just be squeezed out the gap if you're patient and the instructions for that say to remove all sorts too.
Just did the right side on the 129 V8 and to say it was a tight is an understatement.

OP
K

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Thanks, I guess I'll never know till I try.

The worst that could happen is that I'll have to do it by the book....

OP
K

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Just to close this one off, I've actually replaced the RHS Engine Mount and seemingly everything seems o be ok now. It's certainly a lot smoother anyway.

Didn't need any special tools to get to the top 16mm bolt, just a 3/8th socket and ratchet, levered by a tyre lever from above. I guess I should have paid the 35 quid or so for the "special" tool but it's a bit pricey and I couldn't afford to wait while it was delivered.

Fiddling out the old Mount was .....err.....fiddly, but it came out from underneath eventually, and the reassembly was literally "the reverse of the dismantling".

I took the alternator off as recommended by the service manual, but I really don't see what that achieves, as it doesn't free-up any area that would help. Next time I won't bother.

The BIG problem I had was with the heat shield over the Mount, when you bolt it back in, you can't actually see where it's going and have to work by feel. Everything FELT alright, until I reconnected the battery and got lots of smoke! The shield was clamped against the Alternator live terminal, but was completely out of sight (from any direction), so I had a bit of re-dismantling to do.

Still, all's well that ends well.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom