oh, its called "Engine Turbo Seal"

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
try putting in A6120940051.
Be quick, the £5 one states only one left, after this its about £7.50.
Lots on e bay.
Thanks got last one hopefully. await confirmation

loz_dormer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270
Just went on eurocarparts for rear stabiliser/droplink reduced to £3 ish, thought must be mistake , put in discount code winter35 and reduced even more, may be rubbish brand but at that giveaway price its throwaway, so bought 4 for under a tenner .no harm in having a few spare !

I noticed both mine were missing aswell. So went on the Euros site and got the same deal. I had previously brought 2 starline drop links at £24 each, so when I saw they were £2.40 and with the added winter discount I thought it would be rude not to by a load more in case they drop out again.
I found when fitting them I had to lock nut them as they kept coming loose, and if you’ve changed the ‘D’ bushes aswell the Euro ones are extremely tight and doesn’t allow the roll bar to move hence snapping the drop links.....

Just had a good read through your blog, and it’s well worth blanking of the swirl flaps and getting a remap to remove the EGR. One of the first things I did and the Engines run perfect ever since.

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
Just had a good read through your blog, and it’s well worth blanking of the swirl flaps and getting a remap to remove the EGR. One of the first things I did and the Engines run perfect ever since.
Local remapper has offered to do economy remap and egr delete for £180,
was thinking about just disconnecting swirlflap connection and leaving them somehow locked open??? for time being so that ecu still operates motor and doesn't throw up fault,read that others have done this, presume that with egr deleted,inlet manifold will be maintenance free once cleaned additives/intake sprays/oven cleaner, without taking it off

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
I noticed both mine were missing aswell. So went on the Euros site and got the same deal. I had previously brought 2 starline drop links at £24 each, so when I saw they were £2.40 and with the added winter discount I thought it would be rude not to by a load more in case they drop out again.
I found when fitting them I had to lock nut them as they kept coming loose, and if you’ve changed the ‘D’ bushes aswell the Euro ones are extremely tight and doesn’t allow the roll bar to move hence snapping the drop links.....

Will have to check nuts on rear droplinks next time I get under the car, still have 3 spares so should be alright for a while!

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Local remapper has offered to do economy remap and egr delete for £180,
was thinking about just disconnecting swirlflap connection and leaving them somehow locked open??? for time being so that ecu still operates motor and doesn't throw up fault,read that others have done this, presume that with egr deleted,inlet manifold will be maintenance free once cleaned additives/intake sprays/oven cleaner, without taking it off

Good luck with that. Doubt any of that will work. That gunk is "welded" on and neeeds serious work to remove it. Manifold removal is pretty much essential to do it properly. Why spend $180 on egr delete when there is a fix for pennies available?

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
The Op has the luxury of another manifold on his "spare"car, so he can take time in cleaning it out and sealing holes before installing.
I suspect if my ML needs this doing, 53,000 now so expecting it soon, I will try and buy a second hand manifold to clean and prepare before stripping car down.
However, it would be my plan to extend the swirl flap motor wiring out into the engine bay and remount the motor so it's accessable.

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
. Why spend $180 on egr delete when there is a fix for pennies available?
Because the £180 was for the remap, they said they will do the egr delete included in the price, so why would I not do the egr delete ??????
Having done the remap/egr delete I thought it might be preferable to somehow leave the swirflaps in an optimum position until I get round to sorting out the spare inlet manifold.
where does the fix for pennies come into it ???

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
Took out 5 spare car injectors today, came out pretty easy, might change 1 at a time just to see if one particular injector is playing up on the originals, no1 was the one on mine that had black death and took some force getting out which did move the top seperately to bottom so could be a bit mullered, soon find out as thats the first being changed for one of the 2 reconditioned spares 20200104_135518.jpg

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Because the £180 was for the remap, they said they will do the egr delete included in the price, so why would I not do the egr delete ??????
Having done the remap/egr delete I thought it might be preferable to somehow leave the swirflaps in an optimum position until I get round to sorting out the spare inlet manifold.
where does the fix for pennies come into it ???

Fair enough if the remap was priority. If not, there is an egr delete circuit that can be built for pennies and easily installed - see oldish post by dieselman. I did get mine remapped to avoid the off-the-mark lag. Worked well. I left my swirl flaps working normally as there is now no crap jamming them up. No issues after 77K since cleanout and egr delete.

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
I did get mine remapped to avoid the off-the-mark lag.
That's one of the reasons I am going for the remap , find the delay when trying to pull out fast annoying,and read a remap can cure this, also hoping for more economy ,mpg not great at moment, hoping its a possible injector issue which will soon find out as changing them one by one , if no improvement will start cleaning and checking parts of spare and swop , got nothing better to do at moment.

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
DISASTER!! OR POTENTIAL DISASTER, went out to take off egr valve of good car bearing in mind only cleaned it recently, and replace it with spare egr if necessary which is all nice and clean 20200108_111243.jpg
Suprised how dirty egr was after a month or so,
BUT
While l was doing this noticec a lot of oil under manifold, took of oil filter and cap to get better view and saw that the swirl flap bar was hanging free from swirl flap pivot, to make it worse when i put a screw driver onto pivot to line it up to reconnect it moved upwards about 7mm ish and didnt stay up , if pushed up it just dropped down(source of oil leak and poor mpg)? , so i put ball joint back on and this just dropped off, was hoping it would keep pivot pushed up into swirlflap(if its still there) so have put a small cable tie onto joint in an attempt to support swivel(operating rod is so flimsey it doesnt hold swivel up ) but wether it will stay on when driving car is another matter,wouldnt drive car but have to have wisdom tooth out at nearby town , 40 min round trip, this afternoon, but its off rd after that, will be stripping spare manifold off spare , cleaning it , removing swirlflaps and then taking mine of good car and praying that swirlflaps are intact, fingers crossed,
20200108_111243.jpg 20200108_111836.jpg 20200108_112235.jpg 20200108_112241.jpg 20200108_113004.jpg

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
Have looked in diy section at how to's , and typed in variations of swirl flap removal etc, can't find a how to at moment for sequence of manifold removal and removing swirl flap bits,
if anyone can point me in right direction to save me time trawling posts ,it would be appreciated, in meantime I will carry on trawling !
Thanks

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
Found a how to on mb club uk,
but
have read differing threads where some say don't take off fuel rail or thermostat, work from n/s wheel arch and remove egr pipework and remove inlet manifold, this seems to me the preferred option, no loss of coolant /no fuel rail to dismantle...
so any experienced advice will be greatfully received.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I must admit its a job i am not looking forward to when it does happen on mine, about two days work i think.
Keep your old manifold, someone will buy it i am sure.
At least you can practise the strip down on other car before you start on good one.
Keep updates comming

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
as a thought, did you see my post about the catch can and the reduction in emissions at MOT.

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
as a thought, did you see my post about the catch can and the reduction in emissions at MOT.
Yes I did, its a good idea and will be interesting to see how much oil is gathered and if you notice any differences that it might cause in the running of your car, once I have the manifold sorted , then I can get the remap done(hopefully the ycan delete the swirl flap motor as well as egr, after that will be switching to the left hand side to put in the new turbo seal/repair turbo inlet pipe, sort out my airfilter box being loose, so once everything is off may do your catch can mod, (do you think the the oil from the oil separator might help lubricate turbo and increase life??might sound stupid but Ive no experience with turbos at all, )
also saw a post where someone changed the oil separator, didn't say why though, can they go wrong?

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
Looking on fleabay for inlet manifold gasket, but the ones coming up for my car have 2 round 'extra' holes on the end , 12 in total, can anyone enlighten me, thanks

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
When I did mine years ago, I seem to remember that there is no gasket per se. There are just a number of "O" rings that fit around the holes. I re-used mine as they were quite perfect at 100000km.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom