ML270 CDi Auto Tip Gearbox question

rjevon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDi 2002
Afternoon all,

I have a W163 with the Auto / Tip gearbox. Never had a Tip Auto before, so I have a few queries ...

If using the Tip to manual change, should it hold in that gear ? How does it work and how should it perform ?

When going up the gears, I assume when D is finally selected this is a Fifth gear ?

Is it possible to force the car in to Top (5th) gear ?

Stupid questions probably, but having vever owned a Tip / Auto I thought I would ask anyway:Oops:

psmart

Reaction score
If using the Tip to manual change, should it hold in that gear ? How does it work and how should it perform ?Yes. Just like a motorbike, knock it down or up to the gear you want (shown in the console) and it will hold it, except if you go too slow for that gear.

When going up the gears, I assume when D is finally selected this is a Fifth gear ?Yes, if the speed is suitable to go from 4th (or whatever gear your in) to 5th (ie. if speed too slow for 5th, then will stay in the most suitable gear).

Is it possible to force the car in to Top (5th) gear ?No.

OP
R

rjevon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDi 2002
psmart - Much appreciated and superb explsination.

Richard

xavierx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi
1) It will hold the selected gear unless you get to the rpm redline, where it will automatically change up into the next gear.

2) There is no 5th gear hold, there is nothing to hold onto when in 5th (its already in top gear) hence why there is only a "D" option and no "5"

3) No you cannot force 5th gear, the car will only change into 5th at a suitably high cruising speed, and will quite happily change back down to 4th with any reasonably acceleration.

4) in addition to the above, when braking or coming to a stop the car will still auto-shift back into lower gears.

psmart

Reaction score
1) It will hold the selected gear unless you get to the rpm redline, where it will automatically change up into the next gear.
On the ML, if your in hill descent, it wont change up regardless of rev line. Cannot remember if this was also the case in general driving as I no longer have the ML.

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
A manually selected gear does not change into the next gear at rpm redline.........the selected gear holds regardless of revs.

xavierx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi
My apologies, I assume this characteristic is specific to the ML then? as the E's and C's I have driven change at the redline.

psmart

Reaction score
At least in low range it cannot change up due to down hill descent etc. Just imagine the scenario where your descending a small hill, off road, in your 4x4, slowly creeping down the hill, and the box decides to change up....... crash bang whallop comes to mind!

My C will change up though if you red line and have manually selected a gear.

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
My apologies, I assume this characteristic is specific to the ML then? as the E's and C's I have driven change at the redline.

:) Dont know if its ML specific, yesterday, i manually selected '2nd' gear and took it past the red line and it remained in 2nd refusing to change up a gear..........i occasionally tow a horse trailer and on occasions use the box manually and i thought then that the gear i selected remained regardless of revs so i tried it yesterday, after reading your post, to see if that was the case.

(of course, the gear will still change down if the road speed decreases)

Garista

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 ML 270 CDI. 1991 R129 300 SL
Afternoon all,

I have a W163 with the Auto / Tip gearbox. Never had a Tip Auto before, so I have a few queries ...

If using the Tip to manual change, should it hold in that gear ? How does it work and how should it perform ?

When going up the gears, I assume when D is finally selected this is a Fifth gear ?

Is it possible to force the car in to Top (5th) gear ?

Stupid questions probably, but having vever owned a Tip / Auto I thought I would ask anyway:Oops:

Mine stays in the gear manually selected. It was quite surprising when it happened the first time, but it is great. When in manual selected gear it shows on the dash which gear. For mine the engine sound is different and the performance seems much better.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
W163 in low range will only allow 1st and 2nd gear use.

Top Bottom