ml270 fuel tank size

tony jr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL320 X164 2007
Hi

I have a 2003 ml270 and I am trying to find out what the fuel tank capacity should be? My reason for asking is that I keep reading conflicting figures: My merc owners manual states 83 litres with a 12 litre reserve but a couple of online technical reviews quote figures of 70 and 73 liters - which is right? I'm inclined to go with the merc manual figures - however, I have noticed that when I fill up the tank just as the warning light comes on I can only put 60 litres in at most. This implies that either I have a 73 litre tank with a 12 litre reserve or else I have a 83 litre tank with a large 23 litre reserve. Any thoughts?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
according to my handbook for my 1999 e300turbodiesel, the reserve for my car it the area on the fuel guage when the light is on. in my case 7 litres apparently. however when i changed my tank strainer recently, i drained approx 15litres from the tank. the guage was halfway down the light at that point! i think the difference in figures youre experiencing is that the merc figures are for a totally drained tank whereas others are probably for a car thats "ran out of fuel". difference is, if you drain a tank then out say, 3 litres back in, the pick up pipe in the tank often doesnt go down far enough to run the tank bone dry, hence the difference in figures!

Top Bottom