ML270 Loss of Power

OP
M

MartyR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 ML 270, 2007 Clio 197
Hi to all reading,

So I haven’t posted in a few days as I’ve been away with work.

So before I went away I got the multi meter on it and alternator not kicking out any charge. Tested a few other things as I thought it maybe the Earth or fuse box but was 90% sure it was an alternator fault.

So begins the mess about, knowing that I was in Holland for a few days training at Hypertherm I decided to employ a mobile mechanic to do the job. The Car was on stands on the in laws drive and pretty much ready to go.

After phoning a few local mechanic I realise my I wouldn’t be able to get anyone at short notice or so I thought.

I discovered a website that claimed they would arrange everything for a reasonable price so I thought I would give it a go. They quoted me £280 to do the work including parts which I thought was reasonable so went ahead and booked it.

As you get to select the time you want I had the dates that would work and a garage accepted. Happy with this and with the in-laws briefed and happy I flew think I wouldn’t have to worry about it.

Day of the fix, my mil phones and asks where is this guy as he was supposed to be there between 11-12. As it was half I though well give him another half hour.

I then get a call at 11:50 from the garage to tell me they won’t be coming as they are sure about the part and would it be ok to go tomorrow morning.

Maybe I’m harsh but in my job when we accept a job you turn up with correct parts otherwise you don’t accept the job.

Anyway I said sure but let me know what’s happening. So another phone call to the mil can you be available tomorrow. More greif.

Long story short they turned up on Thursday late afternoon did the job. Another phone from the garage asking me you the rude gentleman is who is there. They used another vernacular for him. I explained that’s the fil and I’ve asked to make you do the job as my trust level is at 0 now.

So I got back late last night and checked the car this morning as they have fitted the alternator and it’s kicking out the correct voltage. Great.

The website I booked it with and with whom I expressed my deep dissatisfaction are offering a 5% discount.

I have noticed the power steering pump is quite noisy now so will have to check that.

The lesson learned, if you can do it yourself just do that. The stress, mess around for myself and family is not worth the perceived saving.

Anyway sorry the dissertation and comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

Martin

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I agree, if one has the ability to do the work, do it, at least then you know its done correctly.
However, i have the ability, what i do not have at the moment is the fitness, bad hands !!!!
so just booked my ML into a garage to have front lower ball joints done, i know the garage, they know me and do know i am a bit particular about what is done to the car, so i hoe they will do a decent job.
Labour cost hurts, but needs must as due MOT soon.

OP
M

MartyR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My biggest problem is having the equipment to do the job, as most of it is fairly expensive. Ball joints, bearings, bushings etc whilst technically fairly simple to replace its having car lifts, extractor tools, ecu readers to very expensive and I think like yourself and very particular when it comes to doing jobs on the car.

If I bought it all I would open my own garage :)

I hope they do do a good job and next for me a inlet manifold replacement :) yay

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
ok, if car running ok why replacement of manifold ?, i suspect you have a swirl flap issue.
are you fitting new one or modifying old one.

OP
M

MartyR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’ve not taken her out for a proper run yet but i suspect there is a boost leak some where on the inlet manifold. I know getting it into an Indy and scanned is the right thing to do but my mind doesn’t work like that so I would rather do the old fashioned albeit possible expensive way.

To be honest just put an original on with the swirl flaps as I don’t think I would be able to modify it

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
they are not that expensive, unless you buy a Mercedes one, off ebay as little as £118.
Be aware a boost leak could be in many places. work from turbo towards egr valve.
As far as i have read, manifold replacement is an easy but long job involving lots and lots of bolts. most people allow a couple of days to remove and refit to make sure of a decent job.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
if i keep my ML, i suspect its a job i will have to do. I removed the left hand arch liner last week to do a job, and did note the valves are "wet" but not dripping.

OP
M

MartyR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have seen they aren’t too expensive. So was planning on tackling the job my self.

I’m resigned to the fact that I’m going to working on the ML until I basically completely rebuilt it ;)

loz_dormer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270
I have seen they aren’t too expensive. So was planning on tackling the job my self.

I’m resigned to the fact that I’m going to working on the ML until I basically completely rebuilt it ;)

Welcome to ML ownership! When I got mine I had an A4 paper list of things that I wanted to do and although I’ve done the majority of them I’ve added a fair few more jobs to the list!

It sounds like your swirl flaps are gone, I was having the same issue with mine when I got it. I took the manifold off and Plugged the swirl flap holes, then got a remap and it’s perfect ever since.

OP
M

MartyR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks :) I have been looking at remaps once this job is done, then bushes will need doing. I love the car but I think its going cost me a fortune haha

Top Bottom