ML270 Power

Captain_Pug

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class
Hi All,

Just bought a 2003 ML270 auto which drives great.....

On a drive yesterday i was behind a bike waiting to overtake, when my time come i accelerated hard and the car kicked down and accelerated however halfway past the car suddenly lost acceleration like it was knocked out of gear.

I pulled over now blocking the bike on the road, he was not impressed. The engine was still running but in drive would not move. Put into park and turned engine off waited and re-started and off we went no problem. I attempted to recreate this but everytime the car just accelerated no problem.

Does anyone know if this is a start to bigger problem or is it welcome to the world of ML.

Thanks for any help folks.;)

Tontastic

Reaction score
Website
www.tontastic.com
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDI 2001 ; C180 1999
Sounds a little like what happened in my wife's C-Class... which was explained away as a bad MAF. When i unplugged the MAF it would kick down no problem. The car also shuddered (mis-fired) a lot post kick-down until i turned the engine on and off.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Could be the MAF - if its dropped into safe mode during your overtake then that will knock off the turbo and give you the result you saw. Switch off and back on and you clear reset it back to normal running - hence its fine now. Not being able to reproduce it just means the fault is in early stages. If its happened once it will probably be back.

But, there are several other things that can do it too. I'd get the fault codes read and the MAF readings checked.

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
Cap pug,

From your description it sounds to me that you're saying the box is going into neutral whilst on the move despite the selector still being in 'D'...if so, i suspect it could be a fault with the valve block (correctly known as the 'electro hydraulic plate') inside the gearbox which is known to give problems...........this can be replaced with the box in situ and is a straightforward job entailing dropping the sump and removing the ehp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom