ML270 swirl flap question

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350cdi (C218) 2012 / OM642
That does help. Always useful to know things up front - like the fuel pipes being in the way of the bolts.

Is all that clear fuel piping nylon? I've used nylon air line before to replace rotten fuel pipes between tanks and engines, though it's bit of a pain to get it hot enough to go over the fitting barbs.

My pipes were in the way but then again I did it without taking off the rad fan which left me with less space to manoeuvre. The issue was just getting the bolt situated, other people don’t seem to have had the issue so perhaps my pipe position isn’t as optimal as others, luckily I had a smaller tipped socket as the full size one wouldn’t go (and as a result the bigger one dropped into the engine pan DOH, and the wheel bolts were rusted on so I couldn’t take the wheel off to get at the pan haha)

The pipes are translucent, I assume nylon, I returned the ones I didn’t use so I didn’t encounter issues installing them, I just put new o-rings on the existing pipe connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
I've always replace the o-rings ( 8 mm x 2 mm) and reused the pipes.
The black clippy bits break off but it's the o-rings that do the important work.

OP
tttonyyy

tttonyyy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 ML270 (owned from 60k miles, now on 90k+)
This forum is a wealth of information. I'll order in some 8mm X 2mm viton o rings too. Is the 8mm the ID or OD?

Thanks!

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
ID Tony, the standard way with O-rings.
I'll send you my Ebay 'go to' for years...

OP
tttonyyy

tttonyyy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pump came out Friday with zero hassle, but I spent the weekend plumbing in a new boiler so only just got around to the seals last night.

Head bolts had obviously been tightened up extra hard in an attempt to stop the leaking. My impact screwdriver wouldn't shift them but the 1/2 drive one did, eventually. They're only supposed to be torqued up to 25nm.

Anyway, photos:

IMG-20190421-220411.jpg

It was actually not terribly clean inside and some evidence of minor scoring to the moving surfaces between cam and pistons.

The indestructibles guide didn't even mention the shaft seals, and the guide linked above the images didn't work for me - so I just set about swapping everything I could find. Most nerve wracking was drifting out the old shaft seals and drifting in the bottom one with a socket and pressing the top one in with a vice. But worth changing as I've had a car with fuel getting into the oil before.

IMG-20190421-224235.jpg

IMG-20190421-224659.jpg

Bit concerned that the mating surfaces are pitted though. Here's the worst one after sanding down. I guess where they sit at the front of the engine they get a lot of water and road dirt into them.

IMG-20190421-231908.jpg

Will just have to see if it still leaks now it's all back together. Otherwise may try some red or blue hylotyte/hylomar.

Last edited:
OP
tttonyyy

tttonyyy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Happy to say it runs a treat, now without dribbling fuel all over the front of the engine and serpentine belt. Which is next on the list. At least that's an easy job.

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Glad it worked out for you. I also found the bolts difficult to remove, I had started by hand and given up, then went on to use bench vice and impact. On doing them back up I slipped and rounded off one of the bolts as I got it up to torque. The Mercedes oem seal kit I bought didn’t come with the shaft seals so I borrowed some from a mate as I wanted to ensure they were all done, although I don’t remember especially having to press them in. I also had corrosion on the heads so I also sanded them down as smooth as possible by hand.

If my pump goes again I will swap it out for another one.

When doing my serpentine belt I had to replace the tensioner and a few of the rollers as they weren’t in the best condition.

OP
tttonyyy

tttonyyy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm keeping fingers crossed that nothing needs replacing but the belt since she's only on 62k miles, but we will see. Certainly nothing is making squeaking noises that shouldn't - that said there's a chance all this dribbling diesel has washed bearing grease away (though it looks like the majority was flung off the belt around the engine bay).

I'm debating waiting for a cheap CP1 pump to turn up on eBay and buying it as a spare, but perhaps that's a bit paranoid.

The small prefeeder pump above it on the engine, what's in that? Is it a little gear pump to draw fuel up from the tank (which I assume doesn't have a lift pump in it)?

Does the tank pickup have a mesh filter on it?

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm debating waiting for a cheap CP1 pump to turn up on eBay and buying it as a spare, but perhaps that's a bit paranoid.

The small prefeeder pump above it on the engine, what's in that? Is it a little gear pump to draw fuel up from the tank (which I assume doesn't have a lift pump in it)?

Does the tank pickup have a mesh filter on it?

(at the time) I looked at refurbished ones, with my local Lloyd’s motor spares they would provide one for £120 if you traded in your old pump. Mercedes would order one (new?) from Germany for £270.

WRT the pre-feeder pump, I assumed, like you, that it is an LP pump just to draw from the tank, you probably know more about this than I do. Not sure if there is anything other than the fuel filter protecting the system so not sure if there is a mesh to catch debris from the tank.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom