ML280 CDI Sport Glow Plugs

jimboom

Reaction score
Hi,

I own a 2009 ML280 CDI sport ( W164?) with the 3.0 litre V6 engine.

My problem is that recently the glow plug light on the dashboard stays lit for about 40 seconds after the engine has started. This seems to indicate a faulty glow plug (s). Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where the glow plugs are on this engine and how easy/ difficult they are to change please? I have taken off the plastic cover and recognize the 2 common rails feeding each cylinder bank and the fuel filter in the middle, but cannot see anything remotely like a glow plug or its electrical cable attachment. Any suggestions / help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Jimboom.

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
The glow plugs are tucked down the sides of the fuel rails in the head. There are x6 grey plugs that pop onto the top of the glow plugs.
The plugs pull off with long nose pliers, although you must be careful not to break the caps off when doing this.
The fauly plugs are identified via star diagnosis or an alternative code reader. It's important to note that glow plugs can become siezed in the cylinder head, and especially on the 642engine can be very awkward to remove if they are siezed.
if you are a competent DIY mechanic then we can talk you through the procedure. If not then get the car to an Indy close to you and pay to have it diagnosed/repaired.

Worth noting that if you are also encountering excessive cranking when trying to start the engine, you may have a duff glow controller. These are also a common failure on the 642 engine

jamesleigh

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220cdi clk320 cab vito 115 sprinter 315 cdi b180cdi a150cdi
its best to remove them when engine is hot

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom