ML320 (W163) parking brake question.

PJayUK

Reaction score
I have a quick question regarding the operation of the manual parking brake on my 2001 ML320 not sure its working as it should.

Basically when I operate the brake using the foot pedal it engages with a rather loud clunk as the pedal moves through the length of its travel. It works perfectly well but this noise does not seem normal I recall on my W220 it operated as a smooth ratchet until it was fully applied. The clunk occurs about halfway through the pedals travel.

The car has recently been serviced and this was not picked up as a fault however it does not seem right to me especially compared to other Mercedes cars I have owned. Could anyone offer any advice on whether this is in fact “normal” operation or if not, what I could check to try and diagnose?

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OP
PJayUK

PJayUK

Reaction score
Ok that sounds feasible. I seem to remember another post about lubricating something via the rear seat on a W220. I wonder if the process is the same for the M Class?

Hoping that someone will chime in with some specific advice on what and how to try and sort this out.

Cheers Malcolm this is a good start for me though

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok that sounds feasible. I seem to remember another post about lubricating something via the rear seat on a W220. I wonder if the process is the same for the M Class?

Hoping that someone will chime in with some specific advice on what and how to try and sort this out.

Cheers Malcolm this is a good start for me though

Yes it is the same on all MB's. you could take up in free movement via the adjuster in each hub, you just flip ir round till the wheel goes tight, then just back it off so that the wheel turns with just the slightest of rubbing,,this would reduce much free play in the pedal

OP
PJayUK

PJayUK

Reaction score
Ok Malcolm thanks.

Dont suppose there is a DIY guide or WIS extract that details the procedure in a bit more detail is there?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nothing for doing this.

There is a hole in the hub where you can insert a flat blades screw driver (flat) You can see the spare hole in 90 in the link, and the adjuster is not so easy to see 210

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GA=722.662&CT=F&cat=06H&SID=35&SGR=210&SGN=03

I have enclosed a picture of it,,and you just flip the tooth wheel round till the wheel goes tight,,then back off so that it just moves freely

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 128
OP
PJayUK

PJayUK

Reaction score
How does one lubricate the cable joints?

OP
PJayUK

PJayUK

Reaction score
Guys

I am still struggling with this....

I have tried to adjust the brake as per the various bits of advice and although the brake is working it still engages with a mettalic clunk as the pedal moves through its travel. I cant seen if there is anything in the way of a cable or linkage to lubricate but I am sure its something with the mechanical pedal mechanism as the clunk seems come from the area below the front seats.

Just before I admit defeat and refer back to my local indi, do you have any other pointers that I could check before having to part with my dosh?

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Guys

I am still struggling with this....

Just before I admit defeat and refer back to my local indi, do you have any other pointers that I could check before having to part with my dosh?
Hi I’ve just replaced the manual parking brake shoes on my ML 270,
I have a few pictures of the whole procedure including the central three way cable coupling located under the motor in the top of the drive shaft tunnel sound like you need to take some slack up in this coupling, there is a plastic cam that you can turn easily by hand, when I did my shoes the rear cables came adrift at this linkage, you will need to go under the motor to inspect this coupling
I have the pictures at home so I can't post them till 2000hrs if you can wait till then

Kevin

OP
PJayUK

PJayUK

Reaction score
Hi Kevin

I wouldn't mind having a look at the pics you mention, I think they may help me locate the relevant components that might be causing this. I really think this is a linkage or cable problem as the brake seems to work ok. I reckon a good clean and lubricate should help things.

I'll PM you my email address if its easier to just to send them by email!

Cheers Mate

Paul

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi Kevin

I wouldn't mind having a look at the pics you mention, I think they may help me locate the relevant components that might be causing this. I really think this is a linkage or cable problem as the brake seems to work ok. I reckon a good clean and lubricate should help things.

I'll PM you my email address if its easier to just to send them by email!

Cheers Mate

Paul
Hi I was going to do a how to rear disc's, pads, parking brake shoes.
like I said pic's 2000 hrs tonight

Kevin

Top Bottom