ML320/W163 Replacing front pads without removing caliper

PJayUK

Reaction score
Hi all

I was having a chat with a friend who reckons he has changed the front pads on an ML without removing the caliper. Process went something like:

Open the bleed nipple to catch any fluid, remove the securing pins and compress the piston by using a wide flat blade against the old pad. Remove the backing plate pop out the pads and replace....

Kind of over simplified it a bit but that was the essence of it.

Is this possible can one replace front pads so easily?

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
hi i dont think so there is a three pronged claw on the back of one of the pads about 20mm in length which fits inside the piston
there could be a how to for this
saying this its an easy job to remove the caliper

Kevin

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I cannot see that at all... you clamp the pipe,,then undo the niple, force back the old pads with a bladed instrument.

Remove the 2 recessed 7mm bolts holding the caliper on, lift off and remove the old pads, fit the new ones,and bolt on again,remove the clamp and pump the pedal till fluid comes out then do up the nipple with the pedal down. top up the tank

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Would an amg have a 4 pot caliper and pad without the claw arrangement

Kevin

I think it might do.

As an interesting aside - Why is having 2 pistons pushing on the pad a high performance specification? Why is it better than 1 large piston? [Hint - the obvious answer is also the wrong answer!]

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>And yes they are the same

The pictures at the top are, yes.

But, if you look at the AMG link, you'll find the single piston caliper (120) isn't listed, only the 4 pot caliper is there, while for the 320, you can find that caliper in the parts list.

In using the Russian site, it's important to check the parts list carefully - I learnt this when I nearly bought the wrong parts for my car because I was caught out by the picture being the same.

I didn't see the OP specify that his friend was specifically working on an ML320 - although, of course, that's the car the OP is interested in.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes,,I see that now

OP
PJayUK

PJayUK

Reaction score
Dont think so, last time I looked he had a 270CDI so must be the same as my 320.. Not quite sure what he's on about then!

tbh I cant see that it would really save much time, the whole process is so straightforward anyway!

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom