ML63 AMG 2012 pro’s and con’s

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes w218 CLS63 AMG now gone, RR Velar
Hi all, I’d like to hear your thoughts about this car in general and engine in particular. I did some research but your experience and knowledge is far more valuable than Google. Thank you, Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Get a good warranty and either mb roadside assistance or AA or like, modern cars can leave u looking a car transporter for very minor reasons, ask me how I know. When runnin OK prob, mine anyway, a nice place to be. But I no longer have confidence in my ml 2013 50k model if ur buying new chances are u won't have any bother for 50k miles
Nice places to sit and I was pretty happy til dash lights, don't change gear, then park brake locked on esp light some others I can't remember. Blxxdy nightmare 300km from UK in France. And not something I care to have a repeat of.
I doubt u will get much mechanical issues most mb motors are fairly bullet proof
It's the modern electronics/ electrics that will bite you. Me I will avoid any software updates on mine. As that going from here seems to often bring on other dramas. It also seems u can't "select" updates. It's all or fa. U don't own the software benz do. Plenty cases where existing components give issues after update, near impossible to get benz to accept that no component issues prior to update. Plenty issues related to that. Tho in fairness plenty also report no issues on Updates its a bit of a lottery and can turn out f expensive.

Last edited:
OP
axelcls

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you @ajlsl600, I remember what happened in France with yours, I’ve asked you how to send you over my iCarsoft …in this case I’m asking about ML63 amg 5.5 v8.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I believe the v8 will be mechanicaly bullet proof, possible coil packs maybe issue, as mentioned. Electronics is what stuffs up modern motors

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
A 2012 m157 will have had the timing chain and tensioner recall, so do check it has been done.

At Higher mileage the ccv system can cause oil consumption.

A bad batch of injectors caused randomly bend conrods, but again, most are fixed by now.

Otherwise the usual ML stuff (air suspension, rear Sam filling up with water)

OP
axelcls

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you guys ! 75k on the clock is considered high mileage for this kind of engine ?

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
A 2012 m157 will have had the timing chain and tensioner recall, so do check it has been done.

At Higher mileage the ccv system can cause oil consumption.

A bad batch of injectors caused randomly bend conrods, but again, most are fixed by now.

Otherwise the usual ML stuff (air suspension, rear Sam filling up with water)

Never heard of the injectors. Are you able to share more information such as the date range etc

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big merc eng of 60,s thru 80,s was something likely passed down thru the family, how times have changed.

OP
axelcls

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have seen the car yesterday, after more than 2 hours on A1 north , exactly what @alexanderfoti said: air ride with problems, rear driver side slightly lower than the rest of the car ( salesman said easy to reset the air ride sistem ??!!, not a clue about timing chain and tensioner recall etc). Otherwise, a real monster . Tempted to buy it yesterday but not sure if’s a easy, cheap fix. Keep on shopping around…

Last edited:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Never heard of the injectors. Are you able to share more information such as the date range etc

As always, never officially announced so no real date range! Just like, M156 Intake manifolds, M156 Cam adjusters/lobes/lifters. Valeo radiators etc etc etc

Reactions: DSK

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have seen the car yesterday, after more than 2 hours on A1 north , exactly what @alexanderfoti said: air ride with problems, rear driver side slightly lower than the rest of the car ( salesman said easy to reset the air ride sistem ??!!, not a clue about timing chain and tensioner recall etc). Otherwise, a real monster . Tempted to buy it yesterday but not sure if’s a easy, cheap fix. Keep on shopping around…

Ignore anything the salesmen says of a technical nature :p, its lop sided because its leaking, walk away or take a large discount to cover prices.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....

If it was easy, cheap fix, they would have fixed it.

Likely to be an easy, very expensive fix - replace that part of the suspension system!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wait 4 right car. Or price up repair n try to nic it.. Modern cars , always some issue that costs shxt loads to fix. When I was lookin my SL Vdoz ud be surprised how many were for sale with one drama or another prob today is the 8.1 Yr car can and does leave one with a financial bottomless pit. You think not designed that way??? Pays ur money takes ur chance. Only safe way research research research and be prepared to pay a little more for correct car.

OP
axelcls

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As always, the right people and the right place to look for advice. I’ll keep on looking for the right one. Thank you all, Alex

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
pro . V8 sounds immense , cons wallet emptying starting with fuel consumption , the rest of the car is an ML so whats common on the model in general will apply , oh and most fools buy the V8 on sound , hoon it about , dont maitain it then sell it with issues , food for thought . . . . . . . .

Crispian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 Ml63 AMG with performance package
I've been enjoying my Ml63 for around 18 months now,apart from 1 tyre(£250) and replacing the windscreen wiper mechanism bearings(£12),it has been a absolute pleasure to own.

I'd avoid any that have been remapped tbh,plenty quick enough as they are.

Fuel wise,I get mid to late teens around town,mid twenties on a run.

Full service history is obviously a must.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom