MO tyres

JohnG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 200 (2001), CLC 1.8 (2011)
Sorry to have become such a bore on this the subject of tyres - but there is something which puzzles me about MO designated tyres.

I am currently looking for replacement tyres for my Mercedes and, apparently, they should be Mercedes approved with MO written on the wall of the tyre. My question is, what is special about MO tyres?

The front tyre size/details are 225/40 ZR 18 92Y and I can only find three manufacturers who supply MO tyres of this specification. Furthermore, that they are MO tyres was revealed by looking at the lists of tyres of a particular size (225/40 ZR 18) rather than finding which MO tyres were available for a particular model of car. In other words, the MO designation does not appear to be related to details of the car - wheel arch clearance etc - but simply to the fact that it is a Mercedes car.

Does anyone know what the purpose of this MO designation is?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Many mixed answers on this, first the tyres do not have to be MO tyres, one can use any.

It was said some years back that the rubber used in MO tyres was of a softer compound to give an enhanced ride during the test drive, many still think that the rubber is softer and this in turn means a shorter life.

OP
J

JohnG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks "television".

Does anyone know if the use of MO tyres has implications with regard to car insurance?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks "television".

Does anyone know if the use of MO tyres has implications with regard to car insurance?

For sure, it does not, all tyres sold in the UK have to perform to EU standards.

Please bare in mind that only a few cars are sold new with MO tyres, and not all.

OP
J

JohnG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks again.

Please bare in mind that only a few cars are sold new with MO tyres, and not all.

I presume that refers to a few models. My Owner's handbook implies that all cars of the model that I have should be fitted with MO tyres.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks again.

I presume that refers to a few models. My Owner's handbook implies that all cars of the model that I have should be fitted with MO tyres.

See if any other replies come in, bare in mind also that only 2 or 3 of all the tyre manufactures make MO tyres

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Thanks again.

I am sure MB would love us all to use Mo but I doubt it makes a difference really. The only thing I suggest is they know exactly how the car performs on MO and so their statistics are all right. Using another renders their statistics invalid..doesn't mean your car is less performance or safe though.

I would buy a tyre based on the manufacturers information, price and suitability to the car, Mo doesn't enter into my thoughts as such.

sent from my Galaxy Note 8 via Tapatalk

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
When my MB dealer replaces tyres for their courtesy cars, they fit Federals which certainly don't come with MO written on them. Does that answer your question?

Russ

OP
J

JohnG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the replies.

I have now checked out my owner's manual in a little more detail. It notes:

"If you use other tyres, Mercedes-Benz cannot accept any responsibility for damage which may occur".

This is a very vague statement as it does not specify the sort of damage referred to. What sort of scenario is being referred to? However, even as it stands, it does have some implications. I can't imagine that a Mercedes dealer would sell a car which was supposed to have MO tyres on if it didn't have such tyres, bearing in mind what the owner's manual says. Equally, I would be surprised if a dealer would take on such a car in part exchange without deducting the cost of changing the tyres from the price offered.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
When my MB dealer replaces tyres for their courtesy cars, they fit Federals which certainly don't come with MO written on them. Does that answer your question?

Russ

Exactly, they had replaced two tyres on my s211 when they took in as p/ex and they were Avon zv5... Decent tyre but not mo branded that's for sure hence I think it's not necessary and as others have said as long as the tyre is the correct size and the type etc you want then no problem

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
MB only print that in their handbook as a legal disclaimer..
The only checks insurance companies make on tyres is the depth of thread and only when the car is involved in an accident.

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI BlueEff SE, 7G auto, estate (S212), 2012
Thanks for the replies.

I have now checked out my owner's manual in a little more detail. It notes:

"If you use other tyres, Mercedes-Benz cannot accept any responsibility for damage which may occur".

Can't quite see that holding up in any court, I don't think MB can rewrite the warranty etc. rulebook at their whim. It's like saying you must only ever fill up at a Shell station, otherwise they take no responsibility. I reckon that's a bit of a trespass on your consumer rights.

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Total b*llocks - this has been covered ad nauseum before. Have a search.

OP
J

JohnG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just a note on something I am found. This seems to be a murky area.

From here:http://www.rtecshop.com/shop/wheel-and-tyre-info/mercedes-mo-rated-tyres.html

"Original Equipment markings currently have no legal meaning, they ‘only’ qualify as manufacturer recommendations. There is no statutory requirement to abide by this recommendation. This being the case, the customer is free to decide if he wants to equip his Mercedes-Benz with MO marked tyres or not. However, if a vehicle is involved in an accident and the tyres are deemed to be a contributory factor it is possible that this may invalidate the vehicle insurance. "

Of course, it might not be the case. But who knows?

Last edited:
OP
J

JohnG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I reckon that's a bit of a trespass on your consumer rights.

I agree. I have now referred the matter to Citizen's advice as a starting point and we'll see where we go from there.

Last edited:

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
However, if a vehicle is involved in an accident and the tyres are deemed to be a contributory factor it is possible that this may invalidate the vehicle insurance. "

This just means that if the tyres don't meet the minimum legal requirements of being the correct size, speed rating and legally roadworthy.

MO stamping has no legal foundation and no one will be prosecuted or lose their insurance if they are found to have non-MO tyres fitted to their car that are of the correct size, speed rating and legal e.g. tread depth and condition.

OP
J

JohnG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MO stamping has no legal foundation and no one will be prosecuted or lose their insurance if they are found to have non-MO tyres fitted to their car that are of the correct size, speed rating and legal e.g. tread depth and condition.

I have now contacted my insurance company and they have confirmed that my insurance policy requires only that the wheels and tyres are of the correct size and specification with regard to loading etc. The MO stamp is considered to be irrelevant.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The weird thing is that if you compare the MO spec to the normal the MO will be cheaper (not much)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom