Mobil-1 - from the factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Reaction score
Does any one know for sure whether or not new Mercedes engines (on new cars) are filled with Mobil-1 oil from the factory?

I think that AMG engines are, but what about the rest?

Colin Tigwell

Reaction score
Mobil-1

Only AMG cars come with mobil 1 ex the factory.

All other engines come with a initial running in oil, which is manufactured by Fuchs. It is type Titan EM 530 DC.

Unfortunately Fuchs in Australia, do not have any information on it.

Perhaps Andy may know more.

If you want to read all about what Mobil is doing to Mobil 1.  Do a search on mercedes garage, then search for Mobil 1, and become confused like most of us.  However it does appear, that after lost its court case against castrol, it is moving to a Synthetic Fortified blend.  Which could mean less protection.

Regards

Col Tigwell downunder

OP
A

Arnie

Reaction score
Mobil-1

Colin,

Do you mean that Mobil-1 will no longer be fully synthetic?

By the way, does that mean that the "running-in oil" should stay in the engine until its first service, 10,000 miles or so?

Thanks

(Edited by Arnie at 8:21 am on June 26, 2002)

OP
A

Arnie

Reaction score
Mobil-1

I've spent some time trying to make sense of all the ramblings regarding the "downgraded" Mobil-1 oil.

It seems that  all true synthetics start with a standard blend of esters and polyalphaolefins (PAOs), to which is added a proprietary mix of other additives, which mostly differentiate the different brands. The fact that PAOs are sythetically manufactured from smaller molecules gives the "true" definition of a synthetic oil.

However, the recent legal case against Castrol shows that there is really no formal definition of "synthetic".

Castrol were/are claiming that their oil, which rather than using expensive PAOs, was formulated from cheaper, chemically altered petroleum products (hydroprocessed mineral oil ), is also synthetic.

Unfortunately, this case, brought by Mobil was lost, and consequently, it is supected that Mobil may also be jumping on the bandwagon by moving to a cheaper oil formulation, similar to Castrol, and continuing to call it "synthetic" without imforming the public.

I've not yet found out however, whether Mobil's new Supersyn version of Mobil-1 is tue to the original formula or not. Many, looking at its properties, suspect not.

Check this site for the facts:

http://www.pecuniary.com/newsletters/syntheticsdefined.html

Colin Tigwell

Reaction score
Mobil-1

it does seem that mobil, is going down the track, of making its product cheaper to produce.  I had used Mobil 1 ever since, it came onto the Australian market.

Now because of all the confusion, I have switched to Fuchs Super syn, because other than Amsol, it appears to be the only true fill synthetic on the market. Amsol down here is very expensive, and is not approved by MB.

In Australia the initual fill oil, is normally left in the engine until the first service.  I suspect it is the standard Titan group of oils, but with additional additives, to allow the engine to break in.  However I have no real proof of that, other than MBAU, stated it was a special breaking oil.

Regards

Col Downunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom