modern oil changes

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
yest i changed the ml oil and filter. have to pump it out . ok done that , changed filter .book says oil and filter fill 6.5 lt. i am a bit fussy about this so spent a good 15 min trying to pump all the old oil out . i added 4.5 lt started turned off .topped oil to 4mm below top mark. 5.6 lt .so 1st issue try as best, cant avoid mixing old with new in the region of a lt. I DONT LIKE THAT.car was level. next getting all the dirty oil out of the pump pipework , ie hanging the pump in a tree above drain tray to get it all out. next morning check oil before start. buxxxr me its well over the top plastic section ,I DONT LIKE THAT EITHER ! DONT WANT TO f/up the CAT out with pump again drain to 8mm below,. this involves removing just over half lt it i have made a guess that the filter draining down will put the level to just below the top level when checked in the ami am guessing but i doubt i got any more than 6 lt in to get to the level its now at. all this messing around so some bean counter can tell his boss they found a way to save 10 cents a car....i like to drain all my warm oil out ,not leave half lt plus inside ..why cant we just have a damn sump plug
next ballache pumping oil into gearbox and that little tube that defines the correct ,warm level someone explain to me, why the fill amoUnt could not be predetermined at the factory and a normal fill plug installed is all this faffing around really just to save 10 cents on providing a fill plug .and what is so different today that means a 50 yr old simple method needs to be messed with now.
i know i am old and a little inclined to be grumpy ,but REALLY ?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
What year is the ML?

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
yest i changed the ml oil and filter. have to pump it out . ok done that , changed filter .book says oil and filter fill 6.5 lt. i am a bit fussy about this so spent a good 15 min trying to pump all the old oil out . i added 4.5 lt started turned off .topped oil to 4mm below top mark. 5.6 lt .so 1st issue try as best, cant avoid mixing old with new in the region of a lt. I DONT LIKE THAT.car was level. next getting all the dirty oil out of the pump pipework , ie hanging the pump in a tree above drain tray to get it all out. next morning check oil before start. buxxxr me its well over the top plastic section ,I DONT LIKE THAT EITHER ! DONT WANT TO f/up the CAT out with pump again drain to 8mm below,. this involves removing just over half lt it i have made a guess that the filter draining down will put the level to just below the top level when checked in the ami am guessing but i doubt i got any more than 6 lt in to get to the level its now at. all this messing around so some bean counter can tell his boss they found a way to save 10 cents a car....i like to drain all my warm oil out ,not leave half lt plus inside ..why cant we just have a damn sump plug
next ballache pumping oil into gearbox and that little tube that defines the correct ,warm level someone explain to me, why the fill amoUnt could not be predetermined at the factory and a normal fill plug installed is all this faffing around really just to save 10 cents on providing a fill plug .and what is so different today that means a 50 yr old simple method needs to be messed with now.

You’re not the only one my friend. The bean counters are ruining a simple work practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ajlsl600

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
refreshin to see i not alone,i hate that i changed the oil but at least .5 lt old is mixed with my new!! i often left plug out overnight as for the auto box filling i just DOT get any logic in that. 10 cents saved in production loads more on servicing faff and cost.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI

To be really sure now when changing the engine oil, you would nearly have to treat it the same as an ATF change.....measure and account for every drop drained, and replace exactly the same amount..then run it and recheck it again. No longer safe to just trust the manufacturers designed qty of oil.....because you cannot be 100% certain that you have removed every last drop of it. Serious design flaw not having a drain plug in the sump. And ditto for the automatic transmission's "sealed for Life" philosophy.

OP
ajlsl600

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
its really crap had to use pump 2x to correct it which is a pain ,cleaning pump after getting oil out of 2 lines . when all thats required is a damn drain and fill plug, what are these d/h,s up to . in a couple of yrs a long standing investment comes in ,when/if i look a new car no sump plug is no buy simple dont they trust their dealers to tighten the damn things !!! i could only measure 5.6 lit comming out, but forgot to see where on stick that was. no way to get it all out .as for the trans filling the wxxxxr that came up with that idea should be paid his salary based on how many he can correctly change oil on in a day cos he just made the job longer and more complicated system did not need fixing ,fool proof ,or was till this fool who changed it got involved .

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom