modify c-class boot - urgent help please

ben mercedes

Reaction score
Hi all - urgent help needed please. I am very keen to buy a beaut C-class saloon I have seen BUT I have two smallish dogs, a Jack Russell and collie. Need to be able to take dogs in car from time to time. Do not want to buy a coupe because they are only two door. Don't want estate cos feels too big for wife to drive comfortably.

CAN anyone tell me - can I modify the shelf at rear so that dogs can sit in the boot and have access into the car interior? I know the shelf, which contains the speakers, has metal under neath so is part of the chassis, but presumably it is not impossible to cut away some of this shelf?

Is there somewhere I can get expert advice on this? Obviously I cannot put structural integrity/safety or insurance cover at risk.

Seems crazy that Mercedes do not do a five door hatch.

The other models, CLS etc, are too big and expensive.

Hope someone can help - we both love the car and would love to be part of this excellent community.

Need to decide asap as car will not doubt be sold very soon.

Thanks for listening,
Ben

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
B class or A class??

OP
B

ben mercedes

Reaction score
Thanks but its gotta B A C

Thank you for responding. However, it is an A class we are upgrading from. Need a car big enough for the family and A and B just not in same class as C class, literally.

Surely, I cannot be the only person to desire a C class four-door plus hatchback?

Anyone have any other ideas about modifying the boot shelf?

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
You don’t say what year car you are looking at, some C class saloons up to year 2000 had fold down back seats…very rare… others had a ski hatch where the armrest is located.

Worth checking with seller about this.

Once you start to modify a car, £ signs light up the insurance mans eyes , new risk = more money.

Dec

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I think the rear shelf sub-structure may be integral to the car's stiffness and rear seat (+belt) mounting?

OP
B

ben mercedes

Reaction score
Anyone here do custom jobs?

Once again, thank you guys for responding. Sadly I hate your answers!
Wife feels the estates are too big to drive - a question of how they feel rather than reality of dimensions.

I am looking at C200 Kompressor, 2006.

I hear what you are saying about insurance, but people do customise cars all the time, don't they. Worth spending extra on insurance if I could get the car sorted.

Ben

LSD

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't call a C-Class estate too big! However, it's your wife's decision.. but I'm sure she'd adapt quickly enough. The only real difference is the view of the rear window in the mirror. The car is quite compact.

I wouldn't go chopping out the rear shelf area. What would that achieve anyway - a small slot for your dogs to stand into, crapping up the sloping rear screen/seat top/headrests?

It might be possible to whip out the rear seat backrest section each time you carry the dogs without too much trouble, if not have them modified to fold. Someone with a saloon could tell you if this is feasible (ours is an estate).

Go on... buy an estate! Once you've had it a fortnight, you'll wonder how you managed before.

LSD

Reaction score
Or... remove the rear shelf speakers of a saloon, poke the dogs' heads through and secure, facing to the rear. Fit flying helmets, goggles and scarves. Genuine nodding dogs.

OP
B

ben mercedes

Reaction score
Brilliant, flying goggles it is. With a rear gun as well. Take care of the Volvos.

Thank you for your creativity.
Ben

Simon Barry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 215
We have a W203 C Class Estate that comfortably manages a Dobermann & a Greyhound & will be changing to a saloon. We will be fitting rear seat covers & dog belts which we have done successfully in the past.

I can understand your wife being wary of a C estate but providing Parktronic (Or similar)
is fitted, it is not too much of a problem once familiarity is established.

Simon Barry

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thank you for responding. However, it is an A class we are upgrading from. Need a car big enough for the family and A and B just not in same class as C class, literally.

Surely, I cannot be the only person to desire a C class four-door plus hatchback?

Anyone have any other ideas about modifying the boot shelf?
B Class or C Class Estate, both are good cars and I cannot see the issue against the B class as it meets your requirements, I don't see it as a lesser model to the C. Personally I think Mercedes make too many models rather than not enough. Modifying the parcel shelf is madness IMHO

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
Hi all - urgent help needed please. I am very keen to buy a beaut C-class saloon I have seen BUT I have two smallish dogs, a Jack Russell and collie. Need to be able to take dogs in car from time to time. Do not want to buy a coupe because they are only two door. Don't want estate cos feels too big for wife to drive comfortably

The c-class estate is exactly the same size as the saloon!! It's just a figment of your imagination that it is bigger.

Your wife should actually find driving the estate easier - I'll tell you why - try reversing the saloon into a parking space without parking sensors and it is very difficult to judge how far the boot overhangs the rear.

Reverse an estate into a space without parking sensors and the rear window is much closer to the rear of the car so alot easier to judge.

If you want a C-class - just get the estate - it will be much more versatile for your needs.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
If you want a C-class - just get the estate - it will be much more versatile for your needs.
Agreed, you could even call it a hatchback due to the angle of the rear door :rolleyes::cool:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Estate is as said rather well before is the same size as the saloon...

plus eaiser to see out of, so more practical.

I wouldnt go hacking random bits of metal out the car, really wont do it any good and a lot of harm.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
It's only the UK that has a love affair with Hatches ..... Euro cousins prefer boots, although they do buy hatches, but not on the scale of booted models.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
id rather have a saloon any day over a hatch!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom