Moisture in the Ditributor.. or not?

northcave

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300sl/1992/3l
Car in question: 1992 300sl 12v

A little while ago (about 12months) I had the problem whereby after about 5-10 mins of running the engine would stutter at low revs until it stopped altogether. I would then have to leave it for at least 2 hours before it would start again.

I replaced the distributor cap and rotor arm as recommended on here since it was probably moisture which was apparently a common problem. This fixed the problem but now it is happening again after only about 5k miles.

Could it still be the same problem even though it was was replaced so recently?

The other suggestion is that it might be a fault Crank sensor? Does this sound feasible also?

Thoughts on where to start pleas?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Not the CPS is there any condensation in the cap or under the rotor arm

OP
N

northcave

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300sl/1992/3l
I havent had a look yet since it was such a pain in the backside to get to the cap off last time. I do remember there not being any condensation last time though and someone said I might not see it especially if from cold.

Should i run it for a bit till the problem occurs and then take it off to check?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I havent had a look yet since it was such a pain in the backside to get to the cap off last time. I do remember there not being any condensation last time though and someone said I might not see it especially if from cold.

Should i run it for a bit till the problem occurs and then take it off to check?

Hard question,,, thinking about it I would take off the sump breathing pipe and make sure that it is clear just incase any fumes are being forced up through the distributor shaft

OP
N

northcave

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300sl/1992/3l
Any chance of a very rough location of that pipe? Is it accessible without getting up in the air per chance?

OP
N

northcave

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300sl/1992/3l
Many thanks Malcom, really appreciate your help as always... someone should give you a medal for all the advice you offer here!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
it could be the coil breaking down. they get very hot when their internals short (or whatever it is that they do!) and the spark gets weak to the point it wont run. probably not the fault, but another idea to play with

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it could be the coil breaking down. they get very hot when their internals short (or whatever it is that they do!) and the spark gets weak to the point it wont run. probably not the fault, but another idea to play with

Pete,,you could have hit the nail on the head,,one short circuit turn will slowly heat up the coil to the point where the spark will be Zero, easy to check for a spark when it will not start

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom