Money Supermarket v Confused v Compare the Market

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I have just renewed the insurance on the E55 after getting a quote to stay with Tesco for another year at £284.

I did the usual search of the above sites with some varying results. All three beat the renewal price Tesco wanted to charge, and the lowest prices were all with .............Tesco.

Tesco renewal £284
Compare the Market £268
Confused.com £251
Money Supermarket £248

I rang Tesco renewals and asked if they would price match....yes.

Gave them the quote reference number for Money Supermarket and 5 mins later I have 12 months Comprehensive insurance for £248 with protected NCB, wife covered, windscreen cover and courtesy car with a total excess of £450 and saved myself £36 by just searching for 20 mins and making a phone call.

It's not a huge saving, but it will go towards the next service I am booking tomorrow.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I have just renewed the insurance on the E55 after getting a quote to stay with Tesco for another year at £284.

I did the usual search of the above sites with some varying results. All three beat the renewal price Tesco wanted to charge, and the lowest prices were all with .............Tesco.

Tesco renewal £284
Compare the Market £268
Confused.com £251
Money Supermarket £248

I rang Tesco renewals and asked if they would price match....yes.

Gave them the quote reference number for Money Supermarket and 5 mins later I have 12 months Comprehensive insurance for £248 with protected NCB, wife covered, windscreen cover and courtesy car with a total excess of £450 and saved myself £36 by just searching for 20 mins and making a phone call.

It's not a huge saving, but it will go towards the next service I am booking tomorrow.

I too had similar experience, I also stayed with Tesco at a cheaper premium than last year :confused: It appears that one of their underwriters is Aegis Insurance or it was in my instance :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Denis O

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230
I have never had a Tesco quote from any of the comparison sites. I thought they were like Direct Line and didn't quote via Comparison sites. How did you manage to get them to quote, or am I reading the OP's post incorrectly.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I have never had a Tesco quote from any of the comparison sites. I thought they were like Direct Line and didn't quote via Comparison sites. How did you manage to get them to quote, or am I reading the OP's post incorrectly.
I've had them pip up a few times.
I always use Money Supermarket when I check.

One way to save quite a bit is not to wait till the last minute to renew. If you renew with a month left it can make a sizeable difference.

JohnArnoldBrown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Estate 2003
According to a radio program I heard a while back, the on-line comparison sites actually drive prices up overall.
On the other hand, if you don't go through the ridiculous process every year, you get punished for your loyalty. No win.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
According to a radio program I heard a while back, the on-line comparison sites actually drive prices up overall.
On the other hand, if you don't go through the ridiculous process every year, you get punished for your loyalty. No win.
How’s that exactly?

I suppose if there were no comparison sites then the insurance companies wouldn’t have to pay them to be on them. They’d then be able to pass on those savings to you :rolleyes:

Perhaps I’m a little cynical in that I think they’d keep the extra money in their pockets and pass it to their shareholders.

Also with no comparison sites they could put prices up even more as they would know it would be more difficult for their customers to shop around.

Denis O

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230
Tesco bank, do come up on comparison sites. In fact, they were cheapest for SWMBO's RR so we moved from Admiral last year. Tesco Bank is a different marketing platform to plain old Tesco, whom I believe do not advertise on comparison sites.

I use the Meerkats and have quite a collection of the furry chaps before handing them onto the Grandchildren.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom