1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Morethan Update

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Frontstep, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Frontstep

Frontstep Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    T210 320cdi
    I wrote some months ago about my youths accident, essentially he went straight across a junction and the car opposite which was turning right drove straight into the side of him.

He had a Dashcam fitted.

The footage and the physical damage supported his version of events.

The other driver an older "Lady" had given lets put it politely an account of another accident.

Morethan wanted to settle on a 50/50 basis at which I threw my toys out of the pram but they were having none of it so I moved up a gear.

I presented them with a few precedents from the Court of Appeal and they reluctantly said they would get "independent legal advice" needless to say it wasn't but their Solicitors accepted my points.

All the time the third party was disputing liability and refusing to engage.

So it was agreed with Morethan to issue notices of legal proceedings.

Last week I received a letter from Morethans Solicitors that said after noting there was no corroborating evidence they would seek to settle on a 50/50 basis unless we contacted them within 7 days !!!!!!!!!!!

On speaking to the Solicitor appointed it was clear she knew absolutely nothing about what had gone on before.

To her credit she has now agreed to issue for 100%

Moral of story so far, dashcam dashcam and don't let the bastards stitch you up.

kid-jensen, Srdl, Blobcat and 2 others like this.
  2. Tony Dyson

Tony Dyson Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
    Typical initial response from insurance Co, why nullify one policy NCD when you can get two! Congratulations on your result.

davemercedes and Dean Fletcher like this.
  3. OP
    Frontstep

Frontstep Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    T210 320cdi

It certainly isn't over yet........... unfortunately.

Dean Fletcher likes this.
  4. davemercedes

davemercedes Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av
    Keep your nerve FS - it'll come right if you stick to your guns!

I find the variations of circumstances given by people is amazing and sometimes it's absolutely astounding that people who seem really nice and genuine at the time will then spin a pack of lies and try to avoid liability.

Frontstep and Blobcat like this.
  5. peterws1957

peterws1957 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
    What kind of solicitor takes on a case without knowing what had gone on previously, or reviewing the evidence presented? Smacks to me of a desk clearing exercise to me or at least total incompetence. I would keep on top of what they are doing if I were you, and put everything in writing to them, perhaps also expressing concern at the same time that the solicitor did not know of, or taken the trouble to find out, what evidence you had presented. Hope it pans out as you want it too.

6. OP
    Frontstep

Frontstep Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    T210 320cdi
    The Solicitor was badly instructed by Morethan who should have fully informed them,

after speaking to the Solicitor concerned I am until I know different content to let her get new instruction.

7. stevem9

stevem9 New Member

Your Mercedes:
    S212 E250CDI & S212 E350CDI CDI 2012 & 2013
    As others have said make sure you do everything in writing with proof that you've sent it and they have to sign for it. Next is to find out from your insurers how it will affect your premiums and claim against the third party for this. Even if your no claims discount is 'allegedly' unaffected you will still have made a claim even if it is fully met by the third party, you will also find that it will affect your premium before NCD because - at a minimum - the statistics will be amended in the light of the details of the accident. Insurers like to concentrate on the NCD and not to mention how an accident of any type will affect your premium. You are entitled in a case where there is 0 fault attributed to you to have your costs - including and not limited to those of increased premiums - met by the third party, this should also include any legal costs incurred to reclaim them.

8. davemercedes

davemercedes Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av
    Oh dear... If it was only sweetie money it could be amusing but this must be sending your blood pressure right up, FS, Keep your nerve and I'm sure that between the dash cam pics and your perseverance you'll end up smelling of roses!

steven9's point is doubly irritating because when they finally sort it out and your youngster is shown to be free of blame, you'll then have another fight on your hands to either get statistics 'annulled' or paid for by the third party insurers. Hell's bells, I can feel; my blood pressure rising now! Fingers and Toes all crossed!