Morethan Update

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I wrote some months ago about my youths accident, essentially he went straight across a junction and the car opposite which was turning right drove straight into the side of him.

He had a Dashcam fitted.

The footage and the physical damage supported his version of events.

The other driver an older "Lady" had given lets put it politely an account of another accident.

Morethan wanted to settle on a 50/50 basis at which I threw my toys out of the pram but they were having none of it so I moved up a gear.

I presented them with a few precedents from the Court of Appeal and they reluctantly said they would get "independent legal advice" needless to say it wasn't but their Solicitors accepted my points.

All the time the third party was disputing liability and refusing to engage.

So it was agreed with Morethan to issue notices of legal proceedings.

Last week I received a letter from Morethans Solicitors that said after noting there was no corroborating evidence they would seek to settle on a 50/50 basis unless we contacted them within 7 days !!!!!!!!!!!

On speaking to the Solicitor appointed it was clear she knew absolutely nothing about what had gone on before.

To her credit she has now agreed to issue for 100%

Moral of story so far, dashcam dashcam and don't let the bastards stitch you up.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I wrote some months ago about my youths accident, essentially he went straight across a junction and the car opposite which was turning right drove straight into the side of him.

He had a Dashcam fitted.

The other driver an older "Lady" had given lets put it politely an account of another accident.

Morethan wanted to settle on a 50/50 basis at which I threw my toys out of the pram but they were having none of it so I moved up a gear.

I presented them with a few precedents from the Court of Appeal and they reluctantly said they would get "independent legal advice" needless to say it wasn't but their Solicitors accepted my points.

Last week I received a letter from Morethans Solicitors that said after noting there was no corroborating evidence they would seek to settle on a 50/50 basis unless we contacted them within 7 days !!!!!!!!!!!

On speaking to the Solicitor appointed it was clear she knew absolutely nothing about what had gone on before.

Moral of story so far, dashcam dashcam and don't let the bastards stitch you up.

Typical initial response from insurance Co, why nullify one policy NCD when you can get two! Congratulations on your result.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Typical initial response from insurance Co, why nullify one policy NCD when you can get two! Congratulations on your result.

It certainly isn't over yet........... unfortunately.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Keep your nerve FS - it'll come right if you stick to your guns!

I find the variations of circumstances given by people is amazing and sometimes it's absolutely astounding that people who seem really nice and genuine at the time will then spin a pack of lies and try to avoid liability.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
I received a letter from Morethans Solicitors that said after noting there was no corroborating evidence they would seek to settle on a 50/50 basis unless we contacted them within 7 days !!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of solicitor takes on a case without knowing what had gone on previously, or reviewing the evidence presented? Smacks to me of a desk clearing exercise to me or at least total incompetence. I would keep on top of what they are doing if I were you, and put everything in writing to them, perhaps also expressing concern at the same time that the solicitor did not know of, or taken the trouble to find out, what evidence you had presented. Hope it pans out as you want it too.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The Solicitor was badly instructed by Morethan who should have fully informed them,

after speaking to the Solicitor concerned I am until I know different content to let her get new instruction.

stevem9

Reaction score
Website
j-l.co
Your Mercedes
S212 E250CDI & S212 E350CDI CDI 2012 & 2013, A couple of MLs, a CLK320 and a Merc Power Jeep
As others have said make sure you do everything in writing with proof that you've sent it and they have to sign for it. Next is to find out from your insurers how it will affect your premiums and claim against the third party for this. Even if your no claims discount is 'allegedly' unaffected you will still have made a claim even if it is fully met by the third party, you will also find that it will affect your premium before NCD because - at a minimum - the statistics will be amended in the light of the details of the accident. Insurers like to concentrate on the NCD and not to mention how an accident of any type will affect your premium. You are entitled in a case where there is 0 fault attributed to you to have your costs - including and not limited to those of increased premiums - met by the third party, this should also include any legal costs incurred to reclaim them.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh dear... If it was only sweetie money it could be amusing but this must be sending your blood pressure right up, FS, Keep your nerve and I'm sure that between the dash cam pics and your perseverance you'll end up smelling of roses!

steven9's point is doubly irritating because when they finally sort it out and your youngster is shown to be free of blame, you'll then have another fight on your hands to either get statistics 'annulled' or paid for by the third party insurers. Hell's bells, I can feel; my blood pressure rising now! Fingers and Toes all crossed!

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Well finally after 10 months of it the other side, LV have accepted full liability.

If you ever wondered what your premium was wasted on LV take the biscuit.

A cheque for the excess £750 has arrived and other details to be ironed out.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Well finally after 10 months of it the other side, LV have accepted full liability.

If you ever wondered what your premium was wasted on LV take the biscuit.

A cheque for the excess £750 has arrived and other details to be ironed out.
Well done, if you push you can get interest on the payout delay (I did after a 10 month payout delay)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

He had a Dashcam fitted.

fair play to you. always better for them to have 2 victims as far as future renewals are concerned...

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
:p C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ;)

I'm so pleased for you and your lad, FS. Percy verance does work in the end, even though it's more than a bit tiring.

Thinks: I wonder if you now go to the Ombudsman and present the complete case history, could you get compensation first for the strain of being doubted, distrusted and then having perforce to resist them wrongfully settling on knock for knock and you were given false information with at best lackadaisical attention to briefing counsel adequately and correctly?

I suppose you want to draw a curtain over it now, I guess it depends on whether you can be ****** minded enough!

Well done.

Denis O

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230
Good result but how much better if the other party got done for fraud or something because her story was a fabrication. She's been given no incentive to not do this again and neither does anyone also.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Good result but how much better if the other party got done for fraud or something because her story was a fabrication. She's been given no incentive to not do this again and neither does anyone also.

Her Insurance Company had the physical evidence of the accident damage, the location and of course the dashcam video which caught it clearly in HD on a clear day.

They were complicit in this.

A reputable company would have reviewed the evidence and settled quickly.

If i were "King for a day" I would bounce them both through the Courts.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Good result in the end, but it does show the way the insurance companies will attempt to stitch up the consumer.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
commercially we are all seen as cows to be milked thats it.wriggling out of it is a time consuming ball ache that most dont bother with and these operators KNOW that. its part of a business strategy. incidentally, i believe car makers/dealers do exactly the same.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Well done and well persevered - I must get a dashcam

Invaluable evidence,
it was without that a young man's word against a mature "lady" and both Insurance companies, the inequality of arms and general injustice towards my son that drove events.
Sometimes the principle has to be defended otherwise we all lose.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Thank you for your support and if anyone finds themselves in the same situation I have amassed a lot of useful information.

None of it though gets you off being in the wrong, I'm not Nick Freeman "Mr Loophole"

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom