Most innovative repairs

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Nice use of a wheelie bin, you can get plastic wings for Landy’s they tend to crack rather than bend though so not as good.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I've kept my old meccano set and the number of things I've fixed with the brackets and nuts, bolts and washers around the house is quite something. Bought a cooling fan that didn't quite fit (it was 40 instead of OEM 200) on a Rover and made it "clip" over the radiator edge with meccano parts, was still in place 3 years later when I sold the car.

The wing mirrors on the W124 are broken - they don't move at all (folding mechanism jammed?) as someone knockign their mirror against it found out when the outside case shattered and mine stayed in place!) but because the top mount is broken it appears like they are hanging off a little. Unfortunately the MOT man here doesn't like the look of them and once failed them for being "insecure" (without actually touching them). He said he would pass it with advisory if they were adequately taped so I gaffer taped them there and then and got a pass and now do that before every test. The rest of the car must have got worse since then as i no longer get an advisory for mirrors but instead an advisory for (roughly translated) "Chassis and bodywork: General disperfections, rust, perforations, and state of disrepair of the bodywork and functional ancilaries".

Apparently they're cracking down on number plates being out of line. They're metal here and take the brunt of the touch parkign so about 1 in 3 vehicles has them bent, wonky or hanging off. As mine is rather bent I'll be taking a hammer, screwdriver, screws/plugs and cordless drill to teh MOT station this year just in case an emergency flattening and better fixing is required to come away with a pass.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I've kept my old meccano set and the number of things I've fixed with the brackets and nuts, bolts and washers around the house is quite something. Bought a cooling fan that didn't quite fit (it was 40 instead of OEM 200) on a Rover and made it "clip" over the radiator edge with meccano parts, was still in place 3 years later when I sold the car.

The wing mirrors on the W124 are broken - they don't move at all (folding mechanism jammed?) as someone knockign their mirror against it found out when the outside case shattered and mine stayed in place!) but because the top mount is broken it appears like they are hanging off a little. Unfortunately the MOT man here doesn't like the look of them and once failed them for being "insecure" (without actually touching them). He said he would pass it with advisory if they were adequately taped so I gaffer taped them there and then and got a pass and now do that before every test. The rest of the car must have got worse since then as i no longer get an advisory for mirrors but instead an advisory for (roughly translated) "Chassis and bodywork: General disperfections, rust, perforations, and state of disrepair of the bodywork and functional ancilaries".

Apparently they're cracking down on number plates being out of line. They're metal here and take the brunt of the touch parkign so about 1 in 3 vehicles has them bent, wonky or hanging off. As mine is rather bent I'll be taking a hammer, screwdriver, screws/plugs and cordless drill to teh MOT station this year just in case an emergency flattening and better fixing is required to come away with a pass.
You could get some "MOT plates" that you fit for the test :D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
You could get some "MOT plates" that you fit for the test :D

The plates here are metal and regulated by the transport auhtority - 30EUR each and more improtantly having to go at a set appointment time (in working hours) with all your paperwork and still wait in a 1hr queue! I prefer the flatten with a hammer and plug/screw into the bumper idea in case of any problems....

Top Bottom