Most stupid road in Britain

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
or more specifically, road that seems to attract the most stupid drivers.
I vote the Sheffield Parkway.
I spend a lot of time driving in Leeds, Manchester and now Sheffield. All roads can be troublesome but in my experience the 'Sheffield Parkway' that runs from the city centre to the M1 has the greatest daily congregation of class A muppets I've yet come across.

Its a 50-70mph road that may, at the end, have a bit of a hold up for those going south. So, 5 miles earlier, these morons create their own little jams. They sit in the outside lane, at 40 (its a 70) and refuse to move over. The odd idiot gets everywhere but there are loads of different ones on this road. Whats even more annoying is that my turn off is never blocked, but I can't get to it because I'm stuck behind Reginald Molehusband, 5 miles back, at 35.
is it me?

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
in my experience the 'Sheffield Parkway' that runs from the city centre to the M1 has the greatest daily congregation of class A muppets I've yet come across.

"Class A muppetry" is indeed an art form. :rolleyes:

Can we just say that, whilst those from Sheffield are not unique, they are "perfectly honed"? ;)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I agree the 50 limit over the top queues back for ages for no valid reason at all. We were down there this week at Magna and on the way back a bodykitted saxo had come off the roundabout under the M1 and spun 3 or 4 times around the barrier, not a great deal left of the bodykit or the saxo come to that. Thankfully it had just happened as the queues would soon become impassible

hairyg

Reaction score
Website
www.vegetarian-and-low-calorie-recipes.com
Your Mercedes
R129 (1994) SL320
The M5 through Worcestershire on a Friday evening in the holiday season takes some beating in my opinion.

Normally I could get home from work in 40 minutes for the 30 miles. On holiday Fridays it was quicker to travel via country lanes adding 5 miles to the journey and taking 60 minutes but saving at least 30 minutes over taking the motorway.

The congestion and accidents were invariably attributable to stupid driving of one form or another. I've even stopped on bridges over the motorway and watched in disbelief at what some drivers will do!

One of the great joys of retirement is to listen to the traffic reports from the comfort of my armchair at home:lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There are a few speed camera's on the single lane stretches of the A303 with a 60mph limit on them. so drivers do 50 and brake when they see a camera and drop down to 45 mph, the dimmest of the drivers brake for the camera on the other side of the road.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are a few speed camera's on the single lane stretches of the A303 with a 60mph limit on them. so drivers do 50 and brake when they see a camera and drop down to 45 mph, the dimmest of the drivers brake for the camera on the other side of the road.

Hardly worth slowing down for - they're gone in a flash!! :rolleyes:

psmart

Reaction score
"Class A muppetry" is indeed an art form. :rolleyes:
Personally I'd put a 320cdi in the lot of them and hardwire the accelerator flat out.... only sure way to get a Class A to move :rolleyes:

Have you told the punters on the BabyBenz forum that they are an Art Form :rolleyes:

OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda

Thats not to mention the ones that slow down to 40 (forcing me to brake) for a 50mph average speed camera only to speed up once they've passed it. Presumably they were absent when their school class covered the concept of 'Average'. Or maybe it wasn't covered in their 'retard instutute'.

The others that really P me off are the ones that carefully slow down from their normal 80 to 65 when they see one of those traffic patrol cars. Screaming "They are NOT FFIN POLICEMEN YOU BRAIN DEAD MUPPET" doesn't seem to have any effect. I think I'll have to invest in a megaphone.

We need some serious education on our roads, though what Clarkson said on Sunday about people in crap cars being disinterested and hence being crap drivers is something I've believed for many years. Ban the bleeding lot.

I came up the M1 this morning. In the middle lane. A truck pulled out rather late and the car on my outside 50yds or so back, gently backed off and flashed me out before I'd even tried to indicate. Ok, it relied on me knowing what I was doing and where he and other cars were in order to take advantage but as I did, it meant I could continue on my way with no incovenience or risk to me, him or the truck driver.

Observation, anticipation, planning ahead. I always try to do it but I far too rarely witness it being done. Full marks to him, whoever he was. If only every driver drove as well, there'd be no need for speed limits and there'd be no accidents.

psmart

Reaction score
Consider this:-

The A8 from Stuttgart to Salzburg, out of holiday times, apart from road works flows quickly, average speed is circa 110mph. The general populous pull out and pull in, keeping outer lanes clear. You get middle laners, but not so noticeable as back in the UK as they are doing a reasonable speed.

Come holiday times, the roads become inundated with Dutch, French, Danish, the odd Brit etc and travelling the same road, average speed is down to 50-60mph, people cant be bothered to pull in from the outside to inner lanes, regardless of wether there is no one in them, lots of random breaking, especially at roadworks (probably never seen roadworks before) or the sight of a lorry, causing massive jams and tailbacks. etc etc

Why do the Germans get it so right, generally? Why are the Dutch, French, Danish etc so useless?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Consider this:-

The A8 from Stuttgart to Salzburg, out of holiday times, apart from road works flows quickly, average speed is circa 110mph. The general populous pull out and pull in, keeping outer lanes clear. You get middle laners, but not so noticeable as back in the UK as they are doing a reasonable speed.

Come holiday times, the roads become inundated with Dutch, French, Danish, the odd Brit etc and travelling the same road, average speed is down to 50-60mph, people cant be bothered to pull in from the outside to inner lanes, regardless of wether there is no one in them, lots of random breaking, especially at roadworks (probably never seen roadworks before) or the sight of a lorry, causing massive jams and tailbacks. etc etc

Why do the Germans get it so right, generally? Why are the Dutch, French, Danish etc so useless?

Maybe they do not fear death :D:D

When I drove through Germany on a working day the traffic and road behavior was first class

davoC220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 C220 diesel elegance
the M8 through glasgow between15.00 and 18.30, problem is the budding jason plato's flying up the inside lanes or outside( goes from 4 lanes down to 2- outside and inside are slip roads) although in fairness there is many on slips going through the city centre, its usually qued back 5-7 miles both directions, maybe when they finish the M74 extention things may improve, still to many hawfwits that think their good drivers on the road!!!!!!!!

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
I vote the Sheffield Parkway.
I spend a lot of time driving in Leeds, Manchester and now Sheffield. All roads can be troublesome but in my experience the 'Sheffield Parkway' that runs from the city centre to the M1 has the greatest daily congregation of class A muppets I've yet come across.

Its a 50-70mph road that may, at the end, have a bit of a hold up for those going south. So, 5 miles earlier, these morons create their own little jams. They sit in the outside lane, at 40 (its a 70) and refuse to move over. The odd idiot gets everywhere but there are loads of different ones on this road. Whats even more annoying is that my turn off is never blocked, but I can't get to it because I'm stuck behind Reginald Molehusband, 5 miles back, at 35.
is it me?

Strange,I never experience these problems with the Sheffield Parkway.
I find it to be free running and there are no queues at all.

Regards,
Nick.

PS I deliver to the wholesale fruit market,usually about two in the morning.

W140

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Present car W124 E280.Past Cars : W140 S320 x2 W140 S500 x2 W140 S600. W126 500 SEC
I agree with you psmart the French and the Dutch are particularly rubbish on the road !!.
I lived on the Costa Blanca for 3 years and the drivers from those two nations were nothing short of a nightmare in metal.
During the winter months the roads ran freely , traffic flowed nicely and I could normally cover the distance from Denia to Altea, nr Benidorm, in a respectable time.
But as soon as the holiday season started : OMG it went down the toilet in spectacular fashion. The Dutch , of the two were in a class of their own for ignorance, arrogance, stupidity , myopia and general disregard for any other road user. A classic was witnessing a dumb assed Dam jumper perform a U turn on the E3 autostrada because the numpty had missed the exit..it was , to say the least , interesting to watch !! the Spaniards thought that as well , and let him know in typical Latin fashion

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I agree with you psmart the French and the Dutch are particularly rubbish on the road !!.

They do, however, have cemeteries where the most popular epitaph on the headstones is "I had right of way". Commonsense and a bit of native discretion, such as we might display if faced with a juggernaut on our side of the road, do not seem to feature in their repertoire! :confused:

mattsurf

Reaction score
A34 on Friday evening - on at least 90% of Friday evenings there is an accident somewhere close to Botley interchange. If I leave Southampton on any other evening the journey is fine... Friday is always a nightmare

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently Capri 280, 2 Litre S and 3 Litre Ghia
Loads of them:-

Yeovil ring road - straight through the centre and once you get to the bottom of Reckleford its a single carriageway.

Ilminster to Yeovil - should be a dual carriageway but has the suicide lane (for overtaking).

Cwmbran Drive - Just like the two above through centre and added suicide lanes.

M5 J15 (Almondsbury Interchange) to J 18 (M49 and Avonmouth) - Gridlock during peak traffic flows including all junctions off it.

Bristol outer ring road that has its ends at Hicks Gate (A4 for Bath) and A38 at Filton (by the BAESystems/Airbus site). Where's the rest of the ring?

So many more that I forget them all round the country.

Diggers

M4 from Severn Crossing (not the old bridge) until Tredegar Park (J28) - nightmare being Tredegar Park to Malpas (J26) - we start with 3 lanes, junction where it narrows to 2 lanes for the slip roads and roundabout, then back to 3 lanes.

Anywhere in London IMHO including the outer car parking ring (M25).

Road from Loughborough to Leicester - the mile just north of the city where there are circa 20 traffic lights about 50 yards apart (or that's what it seems like).

Any main road that has speed humps.

Any road that has craftily hidden speed/safety cameras. Best one is the A38 between Shepton Mallet and Dorchester. One camera right behind a big sign (think they may have moved it now) then just before Angel Auto's Scrapyard where the road dips for about two miles between two steep hills - they sit in a turning hidden by a hedge.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
A34 on Friday evening - on at least 90% of Friday evenings there is an accident somewhere close to Botley interchange. If I leave Southampton on any other evening the journey is fine... Friday is always a nightmare

I use that same road from southampton to the 303 turn off every day!

Couldnt agree more, its shocking!!

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
top of the M55 or ANYWHERE in Blackpool between Aug & Nov......(Illumintions Season)

Why on Earth would someone drive hundreds of miles to see a coloured bulb hanging from a Lampost!!!!!!

And ....Lord Street in Fleetwood.....During holiday season the amount of people who stop to take pictures of "Our" Trams is baffling (Admittedly it has got better since other towns have gotten Trams (Manchester / Sheffield Ect)

But "Our" trams are over 60 years old & taking pictures of them seems to be the "Current Past time" of EVERYBODY & you can completely give up if they get the "Special" trams out
Rocket, Train, Frigate & the very special "Fishermans Friend" one That gets people standing with their tongues out droolin!!!!!!!!!!!!

vortex114

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K
I vote the sheffield parkway.
I spend a lot of time driving in leeds, manchester and now sheffield. All roads can be troublesome but in my experience the 'sheffield parkway' that runs from the city centre to the m1 has the greatest daily congregation of class a muppets i've yet come across.

Its a 50-70mph road that may, at the end, have a bit of a hold up for those going south. So, 5 miles earlier, these morons create their own little jams. They sit in the outside lane, at 40 (its a 70) and refuse to move over. The odd idiot gets everywhere but there are loads of different ones on this road. Whats even more annoying is that my turn off is never blocked, but i can't get to it because i'm stuck behind reginald molehusband, 5 miles back, at 35.
Is it me?

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mounis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W211 Avant
M4 - do we blame the muppet drivers? or the muppets who popped in the bus lane?

M4 into London can be quite pants... Can g'tee a few miles of tailback in the morning and evening - Esp bad when the weekend motorist tries to brave inner London and just poodles...leaving the suckers who work in town having to deal with them, the volume of traffic, the money making speed cameras, the other cameras the throw tickets at you for picking your nose.....

But then again perhaps we should blame the reputable "Transport for London" for their bright idea of taking away the fast lane of the motorway and converting it into a dedicated bus lane...which may I add is almost always empty...

The joys of driving in the capital eh? ;-)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom