MOT day

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
Righto, just had my first mot on my w210.

Various thing to report, unfortunately its failed.... BUT only on some pesky lamps and indicator problems.

My straight pipe exhaust (described on the advisories as 'heavily modified':lol: ) has passed. The upper cat and one of the two lower cats are empty, and i had a bit of a silent freak out when he said they do actually do an emissions test as well as smoke test. But anyway its passed with seemingly no problems, along with all the other mods like the lowering, remap, ecu shunt and my alloys with stretched tires.
Promising news all round.

Now, it has failed though, perhaps you guys can help.
Its a bunch of things, front position lamps are the wrong colour etc, the previous owner put in blue aftermarket ones which i wasnt aware is a problem.
The main problem though is the indicators on both sides are flashing very fast, a problem ive seen before, but i havn't been bothered by it and wasnt aware it was a fail. My old man had the same problem on his w211 and it's apparently a bulb.
The side repeater (which is the indicator on the wingmirror, right?) on the nearside is not working though acording to this fail report, i didn't actually realise this. the mechanics inside it have been broken for a while now too, it doesnt fold in. Is this repeater likely the cause?
Only other things are the rear nearside indicator is 'incorrect colour'.

Both my wingmirrors have rubbish cheap glass all misty, and various problems. so im tempted to see if i can get a set of entirely new wingmirrors including the fancy heated/dimming glass from a breaker, if itll fix my problem with it.

Thanks all :)

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Its a bunch of things, front position lamps are the wrong colour etc, the previous owner put in blue aftermarket ones which i wasnt aware is a problem.
Mine have blue tint to them .... they were the only pair I had that matched when one of the original failed. They've been in the past two MOTs & the tester never even mentioned them. ;)

The main problem though is the indicators on both sides are flashing very fast, a problem ive seen before, but i havn't been bothered by it and wasnt aware it was a fail. My old man had the same problem on his w211 and it's apparently a bulb.
As with every other car on the road :rolleyes:

The side repeater (which is the indicator on the wingmirror, right?) on the nearside is not working though acording to this fail report, i didn't actually realise this. the mechanics inside it have been broken for a while now too, it doesnt fold in. Is this repeater likely the cause?
Only other things are the rear nearside indicator is 'incorrect colour'. ....
Wires can break inside the mirror due to folding ..... it could very well be the cause of both faults.

OP
Smaltze

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
Wires can break inside the mirror due to folding ..... it could very well be the cause of both faults.

Righto, well im going to look into just replacing the entire both wingmirros for some off a breaker with the nice heated/dimming glass included. they would hopefully solve all my mot problems and more!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Righto, well im going to look into just replacing the entire both wingmirros for some off a breaker with the nice heated/dimming glass included. they would hopefully solve all my mot problems and more!

but how would you tell if the 'new' door mirrors didn't already have the same fault as yours? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
More likely than wires breaking is the poor location of the repeater electrical plug. Or simply the bulb.
Take the cover off and check before buying a replacement.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom