MOT, I'm gutted

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Cover the 0.1 number with a small piece of black insulation tape and then take it to a different MOT station, where it will be tested to the higher default limit.

Some just scratch it out with a screw driver......

This looks like 2nd favourite.
1st being to be just plain complaint w/o spending another test fee.

Sorry I'm really p*ssed about this. I get a Victor Meldrew head on while sat in traffic (although not always sat) to have my nostrils assaulted by some cr*ppy diesel who's had a remap. Often the pollution from them is so disgusting I question how they feel able to drive w/o total embarrassment, and worse how the plod are ignoring such.
Then I'm expected by our legislators to improve a healthy motor to a level many times better than those smelly gits have passed their MOT's to.
And I am in the wrong and at risk of prosecution, cos I'm stuffed if the things I have to do in business are going to stop.

I feel sorry for the missus when she does get home, we don't have a cat.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I know I asked this before, but is the 0.1 definitely correct?

I've seen discussions about older VW and Ford models having unfeasibly low plate figures, but they've been talking about .7, .8 or .9.

If it's correct, surely this issue would be coming up on all MBs with the same engine.

Reactions: M80
OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I've seen discussions about older VW and Ford models having unfeasibly low plate figures, but they've been talking about .7, .8 or .9.

If it's correct, surely this issue would be coming up on all MBs with the same engine.

Hoping you have something I've had another look. Yep 0.1 is clearly printed, not a dent in the sticker causing a mis read or anything like.
That's the manufacturers spec and so the criteria that must be met.
His gaffer suggests this is the continual attempt to get low emissions to compete and stay in low tax brackets, makes sense, but with the remapping at main agents there seems to be a missing somewhere.

Rick Mr MOT man said he has had 2 MB's recently with the same issue. They failed and one returned with £700 of work done, but still no joy.
T'other covered the sticker and went elsewhere, I have been pointed in that direction.

Gotta be careful not to take hearsay as gospel, but he said he has seen MB's with their dash alarm up and so they failed. After a visit to main agent it was reported that MB had illuminated the alarm remotely. This being in attempt to remind owners of a due service and cause a return to the agents presumably. That would be a bit more than annoying.

If I get advantage of a work around this time, come next year I'm already fearful of a clamp down. No spec on the sticker might mean no MOT.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)

This thread from the other side also has a Viano failing the 0.1 figure. There are other similar posts on here and the other side and some have had success by changing the thermostat. I’m not technical enough to know why that would work!

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Cold engine temps causes a richer mixture to warm it up quicker .

My 18 year old Euro 3 VW with a unfair plate limit of 0.6 was 2.00 previously and halved to 1.00 with 2 Stroke oil pre 2018 but the real culprit was the thermostat , I just took it for granted diesels run cooler , take longer to get up to temp...
Now gets to 90°C like a rocket .

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This thread from the other side also has a Viano failing the 0.1 figure. There are other similar posts on here and the other side and some have had success by changing the thermostat. I’m not technical enough to know why that would work!

An interesting read but not really conclusive.
Tbh it reads as though MB frigged the test or shrugged and said "that'll do". The drop from 0.4 is a fantastic improvement, like the probe was reading fresh air really.

Due to slow warm up I replaced the stat (from MB Newcastle) last week. It didn't improve, if anything worse.
I have been wondering if there is anything else on this engine that 'bypasses' the stat.
It is slow to warm, and doesn't hold temperature.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cold engine temps causes a richer mixture to warm it up quicker .

My 18 year old Euro 3 VW with a unfair plate limit of 0.6 was 2.00 previously and halved to 1.00 with 2 Stroke oil pre 2018 but the real culprit was the thermostat , I just took it for granted diesels run cooler , take longer to get up to temp...
Now gets to 90°C like a rocket .

It sounds like some 2 stroke may be worth a go. What quantity is right?
Also removing the air filter is worth it for the test.

It may be worth considering oxygen sensor and MAF a little later.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
10 Litre Diesel ---> 50 Ml.
20 Litre Diesel ---> 100 Ml
30 Litre Diesel ---> 150 Ml.
40 Litre Diesel ---> 200 Ml.
50 Litre Diesel ---> 250 Ml.
60 Litre Diesel ---> 300 Ml.
70 Litre Diesel ---> 350 Ml.
80 Litre Diesel ---> 400 Ml.
90 Litre Diesel ---> 450 Ml.
100 Litre Diesel ---> 500 Ml.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
10 Litre Diesel ---> 50 Ml.
20 Litre Diesel ---> 100 Ml
30 Litre Diesel ---> 150 Ml.
40 Litre Diesel ---> 200 Ml.
50 Litre Diesel ---> 250 Ml.
60 Litre Diesel ---> 300 Ml.
70 Litre Diesel ---> 350 Ml.
80 Litre Diesel ---> 400 Ml.
90 Litre Diesel ---> 450 Ml.
100 Litre Diesel ---> 500 Ml.

Thanks for that.
Is 2 stroke good for the DPF?

Jason63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 AMG
2 stroke is not good for the injectors; you get zinc deposit build up:

https://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oil-in-diesel-technical-study.php

However in this case if it works it's probably worth the risk - but I have no idea if 2 stroke would help or even why it might help.

I understand your problem though. I had a 2008 Mondeo, at MOT time I would point out it was a June 2008 car which meant the wider limits applied, i.e. 3.0 m-1. Then last year the MOT inspector pointed out to me that the plate trumped this and the plate said 0.3 m-1...... Fortunately the car was in excellent condition despite 150k or so miles it passed easily.

So in your case I think some servicing/maintenance could be the answer. Thermostats, injectors, MAF work through all of them cleaning or checking and in theory it should be possible to bring the vehicle back to close to original spec.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

However in this case if it works it's probably worth the risk - but I have no idea if 2 stroke would help or even why it might help.

I understand your problem though. I had a 2008 Mondeo, at MOT time I would point out it was a June 2008 car which meant the wider limits applied, i.e. 3.0 m-1. Then last year the MOT inspector pointed out to me that the plate trumped this and the plate said 0.3 m-1...... Fortunately the car was in excellent condition despite 150k or so miles it passed easily.

So in your case I think some servicing/maintenance could be the answer. Thermostats, injectors, MAF work through all of them cleaning or checking and in theory it should be possible to bring the vehicle back to close to original spec.

I've been hastily reading test reports.
While there is massive support for using 2 stroke (low ash variety) on the net, the testing of this doesn't seem to agree.
Zinc deposits on the injectors is one claim, and also zinc deposits reaching the DPF during cold starts, these 'apparently' won't burn off and can prematurely clog the filter.

I'm still left with the thinking that 0.39 is a good reading for the soot. It's the bl00dy 'marketing' spec that is plated that's the issue.
If this spec isn't going to be realistically met by a used engine then the planet suffers much more by the ongoing attempts to rectify what maybe can't be rectified to attain this unrealistic spec.
We see above that a Euro 6 VW, supposedly better for the environment (being Euro 6), is plated at 5 times that of mine. It doesn't tally in my mind.

Are others seeing less than 0.1 at their MOT smoke test?
Am I merely hoping to ignore the fact that my engine should be better?
Is it realistic to carry out any unknown amounts of remedial actions to 'hopefully' get to this 0.1 figure this year, and again next year........

Jason63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 AMG
I think it's quite feasible to get a pass. I think the Mondeo achieved 0.15 m-1. My 3 litre diesel BMW doesn't even register on the machine, it never has (and it never gets up to temperature just by idling for the test).

So you just need to figure out why it's a tiny bit smokey. Running cold, clogged air filter, lots of short journeys, dirty MAF. It it were me I'd first check it's getting fully up to temperature in normal use. I'd give the MAF a spray with contact cleaner. I'd replace the air filter. Then give it an hour on the motorway. Maybe that's enough. Perhaps some injector cleaner.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI

That is the wrong spec 2-Stroke , we use JASO FB .

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
It's had the injector cleaner, the Millers.
I am open to using other cleaner/s, and other cleaning solutions.

A problem is that I had the MOT a month early to take advantage of the grace period. Really to beat the snow that is usual here in January.

The emissions failure is a 'major' and so now I am illegal to be on the road. I'm not sure what powers the police might have, but imagine the insurance would see it as a get out.

It is difficult to respect this as reasonable, rather just fear the consequences of environmentalists shouting I should buy a new motor and scrap my evil Viano.

Dipetane is the standard additive for pre MOT vehicles in this part of the world.....

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
So now before we thinking on buying we must inspect the plate on the car can it tow anything. Will I be able to get another mot. does it have fblue fdpf fegr does it have 2k headlight replacement issues. before we even look at colour.eng size ,interior spec.

No wonder there are SO many cheap benz about.

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
tesla model 3 performance /honda cd175/w123 300d gertrude.
Its mercedes setting the bar so low thats causing issues, theses figures are for brand new cars .. my 2014 e350 always reads 0.00 on the test , since the test changed last year its causing havoc for perfectly good viechles.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom