MOT, I'm gutted

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
MOT today, the 1st day to preserve the anniversary date.
In preparation I've been round the Viano checking for anything that might be an issue.

On arrival Rick my usual chap said "look at the VIN plate emissions, you don't want to keep this for long as it's not easy to pass at that". It specifies 0.1 "Bl00dy ridiculous" is his view.

0.39 was the best we could achieve. He then spends the next 10 minutes revving the ballcocks off it to get the oil temp up to 60 degrees, "it won't make any difference" he declares. It didn't.

So for those Greenies my Viano is a dirty polluter and it should be scrapped.
I was reluctant to move up from the 646 engine to the 651 due to its well documented gremlins, but those emission's for the 646 would be seen as attractive.

This sort of kick in the gonads really does destroy the will to try and meet legislative demands.
just took my father's tractor in for its MOT e280cdi 106k miles 2006 with brabus box on it. The bloke kept mentioning how nicely it was idling.... it sailed through a proper emission test without trying.... but I have no idea of the numbers it was running.

You could try the water meth 50 50 mix and push 2 litres of it atomised down the air intake (other side of the filters) an see if its happier with life?

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I'm pretty far in to stripping out. Not really desirable to rebuild and try anything else.

Clutching at straws I ran the fullish tank of fuel right down and filled with BP premium expensive stuff. In case it was a bad batch of Tesco I'd put in.

It has been run with 2EHN additive, as suggested here.
It has had Millers previously.

Anyway all that and the sweet smoke and puff of black were still apparent.

Another conclusion was that if it is putting out undesirable emissions, of whatever level, it won't be that long before the horrid DPF starts crying from being blocked.

I thought about the engine hoist. Buying new looks like it will be a similar cost. By the time I've paid delivery, possibly 3 or 4 ways as I don't know how long I would need it.
There might be a little used engine hoist for sale here in a while.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
This is one complicated and congested lump. On the n/s at least.

On removing the intercooler it had an amount of coolant within. So not likely to be the head gasket causing that.

The post intercooler pipe disappears into the bulk of the lower manifold area. I'm unable to determine much of what various bits and shapes are.

Can anyone suggest what the cause may be, and if resolution might be achieved with what's left of the engine still in situ?

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom