What !!!!

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
But …. 68+5+5+3 = 81 + 259 = 340
Or am i really going mad with my brain injury !!!!!!

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I don't understand, the £81 is parts, £259 labour, Total £340

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
My point was different. Apologies if I was misunderstood. I was being facetious.
Mercedes wouldn't be twice that - it would be many times that!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Mercedes wouldn't be twice that - it would be many times that!

Not always ... I got a quote form a local Merc/Smart indie for a replacement water pump for my Smart. Merc got back to me first with a quote of £300-odd, when the indie got back I gave him Merc quote .... his reply was "my quote was twice as much"!!!
I did it myself. :D:D

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Umble
Arrr, now i understand, thought i had added it up wrong, thanks for clarifying

Cheers

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
It makes a massive difference to many jobs if you have access to a lift. I put the winter wheel and tyre set on wife's Tiguan using a single trolley jack and hand tools - I was exhausted when I'd finished!
That's why I pay my local tyre fitter a tenner twice a year!

Ernie

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
However.

So far I must have spent over 20 hours trying to trace and seal my water ingress issue, how much would that have cost in a garage ?

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
However.

So far I must have spent over 20 hours trying to trace and seal my water ingress issue, how much would that have cost in a garage ?
Where is this thread ? I may have some ideas.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
It makes a massive difference to many jobs if you have access to a lift. I put the winter wheel and tyre set on wife's Tiguan using a single trolley jack and hand tools - I was exhausted when I'd finished!

treated myself to one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dewalt-D...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

and this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milwauke...975510?hash=item4d70349316:g:sJAAAOSwTMhfqUFj

belated Xmas presents you might say - anything to help the job along nowadays

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
That's why I pay my local tyre fitter a tenner twice a year!

Ernie

That's a bargain, mine charges £20.

We buy most of our tyres from Costco, and they did it one year, but then refused next time. Yet in the US they do it free if you bought the tyres there.

Both do it on wheel free lift. I know the Tiguan's not that big, but with my trolley jack it took a lot to get each wheel off the ground and the car was leaning quite alarmingly. VW do say the car shouldn't be jacked at a single point except in an emergency.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
VW do say the car shouldn't be jacked at a single point except in an emergency.
So they’re saying the structural rigidity of the chassis is so bad that jacking it up can cause problems...
Reminds me of the Vauxhall Viva that would pop its windscreen out of you jacked up a front wheel...:eek:

How will all the mothers dropping their kids off at school survive is they can’t mount the kerb anymore as it could damage their car... oh same as normal they don’t care...:rolleyes:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
So they’re saying the structural rigidity of the chassis is so bad that jacking it up can cause problems...
Reminds me of the Vauxhall Viva that would pop its windscreen out of you jacked up a front wheel...:eek:

How will all the mothers dropping their kids off at school survive is they can’t mount the kerb anymore as it could damage their car... oh same as normal they don’t care...:rolleyes:

I just re-read that part of the handbook and my mind must have merged the bits about wheel changing in an emergency and using a wheel-free lift. There's no statement that the car should only be jacked up at one point only in an emergency.

It doesn't seem like a great idea to twist any vehicle to extreme un-necessarily though.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

It doesn't seem like a great idea to twist any vehicle to extreme un-necessarily though.

Even when you lift a car at the specific jacking points on the sills, you've find that the car will twist to a degree .... doors will possibly foul slightly when opening/closing

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I bought the Ryobi impact gun, takes off wheel bolts done up to 140 MN, so quite a time and effort saving.

Regarding jacking, see my thread on water ingress which is ongoing, i wonder if age or jacking up has caused a leak in the body sealant which i have still not fixed after 3 months of looking for it ( so very nearly there)
I always jack the car up from the chassis, two jacks at front or two jacks at rear. Its a heavy old bus !!!!!.

Tim Jackson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL600
I recently purchased an SL600 but luckily did a car check and mot history etc on carguide.co.uk of another (well, SL500) I was looking at and it was a previously in an accident not recorded on HPI that could have affected the MOT test. I had a photo of it prior to repair which I'll dig out and post!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I recently purchased an SL600 but luckily did a car check and mot history etc on carguide.co.uk of another (well, SL500) I was looking at and it was a previously in an accident not recorded on HPI that could have affected the MOT test. I had a photo of it prior to repair which I'll dig out and post!
Welcome Tim, at the same time let's have some pics of your Vdoz....

philreed52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270clk
Hi just a thought , watched an episode of wheeler dealer and they used a smoke machine in side car and looked for escaping smoke .I think it was a dry ice type machine as used at discos. They were looking for an elusive leak and it found it using this machine.Never had to use one myself but look clever.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Even when you lift a car at the specific jacking points on the sills, you've find that the car will twist to a degree .... doors will possibly foul slightly when opening/closing
Not on an old riley or hillman they dont !

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom