MOT pass with some recommendations

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
So, another year gone, and another pass. Yipee.

This time I've picked up two areas to keep an eye on, not sure how you keep an eye on parts you cannot see, but I guess at some point this will become more obvious.

Issue - Ball joint has slight play
Solution - Renew the front lower suspension link arm (front axle - left side)
Quote £303.64

On the MOT certificate it picks up the above and another item

1 Suspension arm ball joint has slight play nearside Front Lower

2 Anti-roll bar ball joint has slight play nearside front.

This was done at Halfords, they didn't say how long I should wait until the above items are resolved. And they only quoted for the first item which I thought was odd. Does anyone know roughly how much the anti-roll bar might costs. No doubt I will require 4 wheel alignment after.

Ps My first port of call wasn't to ask Halfords to do the work, even though the older guy seemed to know a lot more and was more helpful than the chap sat behind the desk.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

This time I've picked up two areas to keep an eye on, not sure how you keep an eye on parts you cannot see, but I guess at some point this will become more obvious.

Quote £303.64

This was done at Halfords, they didn't say how long I should wait until the above items are resolved. And they only quoted for the first item which I thought was odd. Does anyone know roughly how much the anti-roll bar might costs. No doubt I will require 4 wheel alignment after.

Ps My first port of call wasn't to ask Halfords to do the work, even though the older guy seemed to know a lot more and was more helpful than the chap sat behind the desk.
Put your details into Autodoc buddy , they have a good selection . Try Lemforder as the make .

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651

Quote £303.64

On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate your level of confidence in the technical capabilities, general competence and customer centric practices in Halfords as a business, their staff and management? generally speaking of course :)

1, being, " I wouldn't trust them to to pour the pi$$ out of a pi$$ pot if the instructions were underneath "
10, being, " I would trust them to find unnecessary work from free or paid inspections, it it were at least 30% credible "

I would take my car to a trusted Indy for professional confirmation before investing anything else!

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0

Quote £303.64

Surely the anti roll bar won't have ball joints? Are they referring to the drop link? Clarify before ordering a new anti roll bar!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate your level of confidence in the technical capabilities, general competence and customer centric practices in Halfords as a business, their staff and management? generally speaking of course :)

1, being, " I wouldn't trust them to to pour the pi$$ out of a pi$$ pot if the instructions were underneath "
10, being, " I would trust them to find unnecessary work from free or paid inspections, it it were at least 30% credible "

I would take my car to a trusted Indy for professional confirmation before investing anything else!
This…:)

I’d score them a 0.5 as I’m in a generous mood…

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Get the car to an indy for the work and double check.

Suspension related issues only get worse and the ensuing noise annoying.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok, fair enough. My indie isn't that close, working Mon-Fri, I have to take time off work to get there. I suppose it's a small price to pay.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Its also work thats not challenging for a normal competent garage.
Try to make sure they dont get el cheapo parts.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Both my lower front arms were replaced last year, I use GSF Premium parts (on recommendation by my mechanic), no issues, was under £300 for both as there was a 45% off deal on, should take under an hour to do one

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Both my lower front arms were replaced last year, I use GSF Premium parts (on recommendation by my mechanic), no issues, was under £300 for both as there was a 45% off deal on, should take under an hour to do one
Unfortunately I'm not in a position where I cannot buy the parts and supply to a garage. Who did the work for you?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Unfortunately I'm not in a position where I cannot buy the parts and supply to a garage. Who did the work for you?

A good friend of mine is a mechanic in a local garage, he does all that kind of work for me. £300 is still way too high for one arm fitted

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom