Motorists get hit again!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
The government, in an attempt to save money, have decided that anyone who disputes any motoring charges and is acquitted of the offence, will only be able to reclaim costs equivalent to the rate of legal aid, which is considerably lower than that applied to solicitors to private clients.

Presently, if you win your case you are awarded all your costs, in the future innocent drivers face the choice of pleading guilty and being punished for a crime they did not commit, or prove your innocence and be punished financially anyway.

The Ministry Of Justice decided the age old principal of "the loser pays" was costing the government too much money due to the amount of cases they were losing. The new system is designed to discourage drivers from seeking justice. Are we still living in a civilised country? :confused:

Russ

MarkF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi
Sounds about right for this corrupt country.
Its about time the political system was scrapped, all MP's made to get a proper job and it all replaced with a PLC.
Run by honest people for the good of this country and not for the Euro scroungers.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
The government, in an attempt to save money, have decided that anyone who disputes any motoring charges and is acquitted of the offence, will only be able to reclaim costs equivalent to the rate of legal aid, which is considerably lower than that applied to solicitors to private clients.

Presently, if you win your case you are awarded all your costs, in the future innocent drivers face the choice of pleading guilty and being punished for a crime they did not commit, or prove your innocence and be punished financially anyway.

The Ministry Of Justice decided the age old principal of "the loser pays" was costing the government too much money due to the amount of cases they were losing. The new system is designed to discourage drivers from seeking justice. Are we still living in a civilized country? :confused:

Russ

This is just the most recent turn of the screw Russ. For years now motorists have been invited to accept a "50%" discount for paying up like good boys and girls, within a set period - admitting liability. It has been clear throughout that time that, whilst you may contest this, the penalties for prosecution will be much more severe. More threat than implication, I think.

I am always astonished when I see the penalties for motoring offences being related to outcome rather than cause - e.g. fell asleep at the wheel and knocked down a bollard, £100 fine. Fell asleep at the wheel and caused a fatality, custodial sentence. The offence was the same in each case, the outcome was a matter of chance.

In none of these cases is justice served.

PJZ2196

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W203-C220 CDi 143BHP (2002)
Here here I agree with that one, Alex. Over here in Northern Ireland, joyriding is a big problem. The familys of these fatalities have been screaming for 20 year sentences on drivers who cause death (even ordinary drivers in an accident) claiming its the same as a murder charge. I believe that grief probably makes some people think like this, but afterall, it won't bring their loved one back. Problem is most joyriders who cause death are in their early teens, who will not be tried as an adult. Also if they have never completed a driving test the defence will argue mitigating circumstances for "not understanding the charges" the effect is JOYRIDER 3 years (serve 18 months) - ordinary driver in a genuine accident (current 10 years, not time off for good behaviour - revoked in Northern Ireland). If there was real justice, all car manufacturers would do more to make cars impossible to steal (though to be fair most are nowadays) and the police should do more to prevent crime rather than punish it.

mattsurf

Reaction score
I am always astonished when I see the penalties for motoring offences being related to outcome rather than cause - e.g. fell asleep at the wheel and knocked down a bollard, £100 fine. Fell asleep at the wheel and caused a fatality, custodial sentence. The offence was the same in each case, the outcome was a matter of chance.

In none of these cases is justice served.

If I punch someone and they get a broken nose, it is GBH, if I punch someone and they die this is manslaughter. No different really to your point above. A car is lethal in the wrong hands and as such, if someone causes a death through their recless actions, then a custodial sentence is fully justified.

I think that we are all going to get used to much higher taxes for the forseable future. The country is mortgaged to the hilt, the government cannot afford its pension commitments. Yes the labour government got us into this mess, going forward I see no alternative to higher taxes almost everywhere

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
If I punch someone and they get a broken nose, it is GBH, if I punch someone and they die this is manslaughter. No different really to your point above. A car is lethal in the wrong hands and as such, if someone causes a death through their recless actions, then a custodial sentence is fully justified.

I think that we are all going to get used to much higher taxes for the forseable future. The country is mortgaged to the hilt, the government cannot afford its pension commitments. Yes the labour government got us into this mess, going forward I see no alternative to higher taxes almost everywhere

Matt this is an entirely different thing....

We've had a similar thread before.

The essence of Russ's point that if you are proven innocent (or rather not porven guilty) you in effect are still punished for the crime you didnt commit as you are financially down by being charged with an offence as you have to pay costs. I get a £60fpn, challenge it, proven inncoent and still get hit with £50 costs because of an incompetent case against me.

Please tell me how that is right, I am dying to know, really have a try :rolleyes::rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This has not come into force yet, as far as i know

mattsurf

Reaction score
Matt this is an entirely different thing....

We've had a similar thread before.

The essence of Russ's point that if you are proven innocent (or rather not porven guilty) you in effect are still punished for the crime you didnt commit as you are financially down by being charged with an offence as you have to pay costs. I get a £60fpn, challenge it, proven inncoent and still get hit with £50 costs because of an incompetent case against me.

Please tell me how that is right, I am dying to know, really have a try :rolleyes::rolleyes:

On this point I do agree with you - if you are found inocent you should not be financially penalised for this

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
And it better not either....

Can you imagine phase 2 if it came in, and used with complaints from ordinary citizens that can report you for the way that you drive

Top Bottom