MOT's every 2 years??????????

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
Mileage clockers will have a field day.
You will see more and more dodgy cars on the market, more dangerous cars on the road.

Some of them out there are a death trap as it is, often and MOT is the only way for the owner to keep abreast of the basics, I dread to think the amount of problems this will bring.

horatio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E, CLK
Personally it would be convenient and less bureaucracy is always a good thing. Trouble is many folk do not maintain their cars at all except to scrape through an MOT. A scary number will run their cars until there are literally no tyres or brakes remaining and learn the hard way.

Even scarier considering “smart” motorways!

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Hmmm this idiocy is the nasty party's response to the cost of living crisis to save hard working people money, nothing to do with safety. So that's a saving of £30 over 2 years. Doesn't cover this months increase in NI.

MrsP car in for MoT on Tuesday. Increase in fuel per tank fill is more than £30 in the last 2 months.

Poll tax went up by 3.9% this month.

Lots of cost increases beyond MoT hard working people are facing
Where do you get a MOT done for £30? I’ve just paid about 50.
There are some families that run 3 or 4 cars or even 6 ( @Blobcat ) so the savings would add up.

We are living with a generation that has never faced inflation before and presumably many have not put aside money for that "rainy day”. It alway amazes me to see people complaining about how short of money they are with the latest iPhone in one hand and a cigarette in the other hand and wearing the latest fashions.

External forces (covid, energy prices, Ukraine war....etc) are now driving the inflation - not government policy and inflation is not a UK only problem.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Cupid Stunt! How did he get away with a name like that ... :D
I once met a hooker in a bar in Amsterdam (not what you are thinking & another story) whose name was Sinsemilla (female cannabis plant) .

She showed us her UK passport. Her father was a dope head and thought is was a good idea to name her that when she was born.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Oh - I’d better learn to shop around. I always take our cars to MB:rolleyes:.
To be fair - MB used to collect my E-Class and Mot it then drop it back for £30 :)

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I'm against it.
The number of cars that I see that aren't really roadworthy is frightening. Vehicles with only one working headlight are a bug bear of mine.
There are plenty of people who never get their car serviced.
I'd rather that private vehicles were tested in a similar manner to commercial ones on say every 15000 miles or 12 months whichever limit is reached first, even if that would mean me getting at least 2 tests per year.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Where do you get a MOT done for £30? I’ve just paid about 50.
My local MoT test centre that I've generally used over the last 20 years for most of the vehicles we had/have, or on occasion when the MB dealer has a deal to price match on.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I .... Vehicles with only one working headlight are a bug bear of mine.
There are plenty of people who never get their car serviced.
Sometimes they just pop .... EmilysMum's car was service just a couple of weeks back ..... I noticed on Tuesday morning that one of her headlights was out. How long it was out I've no idea because I don't drive it very often & even less so at night.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Amazing how people are getting agitated with one of many money-saving ideas for punters that don't put up borrowing for us the tax-payers.

Its just a floater.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I dont think people are getting agitatated. I think many members of the forum are enthusiastic about keeping their cars in good condition and see pitfalls in the 2 year plan as the annual MOT keeps many cars roadworthy. If cars are serviced annually then they should be MOT annually.

The 2 year MOT is a govt tactic to keep folk on side.

people need to look beyond the nonsense (help living crisis), the increase in fuel prices, energy, food, WTF is a saving on an MOT. ZILCH

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
It's simply a media leak story whipped up to get attention.

Governments continually muse in private.

As the infamous Donald Trump disinfectant event showed you shouldn't do it in public as your opposition will rewrite the event to suit and your words will be twisted beyond common sense.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Amazing how people are getting agitated with one of many money-saving ideas for punters that don't put up borrowing for us the tax-payers.

Its just a floater.

It is also a great opportunity for people (specially the haters) to try and blame the government for inflation.

They seem to have short memories and forget about Covid (many after having used the benefits of the furlough scheme), world wide energy price increases, war in Ukraine, fertiliser shortage, food shortage....... etc.

This high inflation is not a UK only problem. We have to tighten our belts.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom