Moving from a W211 E55K to a W212 E63 Biturbo

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
As I have just changed cars, I thought it might be a useful thread for anyone contemplating doing the same at some point. I have noticed a few differences already, so as I discover this car and its reliability, performance etc, I'll put them here for reference.

First off, the interior of the 212 is a massive upgrade on what still is a very fine W211 interior. Looking back inside the E55, it appears really dated and I suppose as the design is 16 years old its not surprising.

Economy............not top of the list if you want to run an AMG, especially one with a 5.5 engine, but already the Biturbo is showing better economy despite heavy stop go traffic and some decent speed over the 140 mile drive home.

Sound....again, you can hear the 212 is much deeper than a modified 55 exhaust. It's a great sound and I may want more very soon:D

Now a couple of niggles.
Why does the setting always revert back to Comfort when you have been in Sport+ ?
And that Eco button. Always showing green on the dash so you have to turn it off every time you re start the car if you don't want the stop/start feature activated.
Two minor annoyances with the 212 that I noticed straight away.

Three pics..........look at the state of these exhaust tips:wallbash:. Going to have to break out the A̶n̶u̶s̶o̶l̶, Autosol tomorrow for a good clean . My OCD can't put up with that carbon and soot build up.

20190918_191517.jpg

Heavy traffic and delays and still a resonable average MPG coming back home.
20190918_175051.jpg

Finally, the dealer came good and replaced the missing E on the boot. It now reads as it should.
20190918_182705.jpg
I'll update the thread as I find out more about this great car.
Photos to follow when the flies are removed and its cleaner.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Nice one Roger!
No way of stopping the default I found - however the Eco mode is useful for heating the oil up to temp before giving it beans!
Suppose you know the tips come off for easier cleaning...

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Nice one Roger!
No way of stopping the default I found - however the Eco mode is useful for heating the oil up to temp before giving it beans!
Suppose you know the tips come off for easier cleaning...

Thanks for the tip about the tips:D
I didn't know. Do they pull off are are they bolted from behind?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks for the tip about the tips:D
I didn't know. Do they pull off are are they bolted from behind?
Bolted from behind with a torx...can’t remember the size though!
I’d take full credit but it was Dave Ent told me :rolleyes:

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Excellent, I have a full set of torx bits.

Looking forward to following this.

Great buy Roger. Like you I prefer a light interior.

I too have/had a full set of torx bits, when I can find them after MrsP tidied up whilst I was mid dismantling the hoover to get it working as requested. :geek::rolleyes:

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Glad you like it so far Roger. I agree that the ECO type settings are a nuisance but they're set like that to get the figures up. ;)

Incidentally, doesn't this car have the night package? If so, shouldn't those exhaust tips should be gloss black and not chrome?

On the inside of the tips where they're scratched, I used to rub them down and spray them in satin black. Sad but true...

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the ownership experience look forward to further updates. It’s interesting that the AMG product has also had to bow to the emissions regs with ECO settings and Stop/Start presumably to reduce the VED

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Glad you like it so far Roger. I agree that the ECO type settings are a nuisance but they're set like that to get the figures up. ;)

Incidentally, doesn't this car have the night package? If so, shouldn't those exhaust tips should be gloss black and not chrome?

On the inside of the tips where they're scratched, I used to rub them down and spray them in satin black. Sad but true...

You are correct Dave. It does have the night pack along with mirror pack and memory pack. On closer inspection the tips are gloss black and the insides when cleaned are a matt black. And I almost got to work with the Autosol:)

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Thanks for sharing the ownership experience look forward to further updates. It’s interesting that the AMG product has also had to bow to the emissions regs with ECO settings and Stop/Start presumably to reduce the VED

I don't know about reducing the duty. It's £555 for a year:shock:
It's to save a few more polar bears with reduced emissions.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I don't know about reducing the duty. It's £555 for a year:shock:
It's to save a few more polar bears with reduced emissions.

It saves you £15pa against the top rate VED @ £570, but as you say it helps save the ice caps

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My neighbours must have hated me when I used to drive myself to the airport , often before 5 am.....sorry !:(

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My neighbours must have hated me when I used to drive myself to the airport , often before 5 am.....sorry !:(
My neighbours love my Ducati...

Had to warm it up by blipping the throttle before setting off. They used to wave to me to show their appreciation...

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
My neighbours love my Ducati...

Had to warm it up by blipping the throttle before setting off. They used to wave to me to show their appreciation...

some boys never grow up :rolleyes::shock:;):D:cool:

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Saw the neighbour this morning. She complemented the car and I apologised for the cold start being a tad loud.
She laughed and said that was when she saw we had another car. She looked out of the window to see what was making all the noise:D

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom